Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrbrn View Post
It shoots comparable to 25 gr Hornady hp for me, drt if you hit 'em. 17 hebee. Tom.
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can try it out on a groundhog.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

I've never used the UMC 17 FB ammo, so I have no experience with it. What I have used falls into the 1.25" and smaller groups. I've never seen any that was BR accurate, but when grinding in a new factory rifle, it tells me what I want to know.

I look more at the shape of the group, and not just the size, to help me determine if the rifle has accuracy potential "as is" or does it need some immediate tweeking before I try some trusted hand loads in it. In addition, it gives me fire formed cases to begin the reloading process with.

JME - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-16-2021, 12:17 AM

Default Shot a bunch of it..

I like it..accurate enough in my Fireball to kill armadillos (180yds is the longest to date), crows and other farm varmints, caught a coyote sitting and watch some calves eat and it did the job on him. While not a test of accuracy I've dispatched 40plus feral pigs in traps. I try to keep a good supply on hand. And the brass reloads like a charm.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:24 PM

If you are looking for 17 Fireball brass, you should check out High Plains Brass at http://www.highplainsbrass.com/17-Re...unds_p_12.html

I have purchased brass from them before for my 17 Rem. At $40 per 100, you are not going to get it any cheaper elsewhere if you can even find it.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:58 PM

218- what is a good price for the umc 17 FB ammo. It has been $66.00 /box at the local farm store for the last few years. I stopped buying it at $44.00/ box. The stuff shoots really well in my gun, I just measured a 1/2" four shot group. My HMR does better but it also has a better scope on it.

Mulepasture has covered the effectiveness of the 25gr bullet!
Old 08-20-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
218- what is a good price for the umc 17 FB ammo. It has been $66.00 /box at the local farm store for the last few years. I stopped buying it at $44.00/ box. The stuff shoots really well in my gun, I just measured a 1/2" four shot group. My HMR does better but it also has a better scope on it.

Mulepasture has covered the effectiveness of the 25gr bullet!
$56.00 per box
Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
If you are looking for 17 Fireball brass, you should check out High Plains Brass at http://www.highplainsbrass.com/17-Re...unds_p_12.html

I have purchased brass from them before for my 17 Rem. At $40 per 100, you are not going to get it any cheaper elsewhere if you can even find it.
Thanks for the link.