Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 PM

Default Well I finally got to do it.

Today I was driving by a friend's place ands aw a flock of about 30 wild turkeys in his field and someone was home. I stopped and asked if I could try to fill some of my 3 turkey tags. Since these folks have a hundred turkeys roasting in their trees every night, they had expressed the desire to put some hunting pressure on them. I received the blessing that I needed and removing my M591 from my pickup I moved to the edge of the yard using a cargo trailer to hid my movement. Peeking from the rear of the trailer I ranged the feeding birds to be from 85 to 115 yards from me. loading a 5mm Craig cartridge into the chamber, I slid the bolt home and poked the rifle around the rear of the trailer. I tried to judge size and to find turkeys that were standing broadside or directly away from me. I spotted o turkey by itself, standing between two cottonwood trees face toward my right. I held just over the back where the wing attaches to the body. I squeezed o0f a shot sending the 30 grain Berger flat based bullet downrange at about 2500fps out of the 20" Shilen 1:12 twist barrel, The powder charge was 5.2 grains of Accurate #9 Powder. I hit the bird and it went into its death flutters. The other turkeys ran to my right about 15 yards that then slowed down and began looking for where the sound came from. I shot 2 more shots and missed the neck both times, loading my 4th round I held a little high again on a larger turkey that was 115 yards from me. I hit this one too. The rest of the turkeys headed for property that I could not hunt. I have waited since 1993 to make these shots. The rifle is a 591 that I chambered and mounted the Shilen barrel in 2005. I have a single shot adapter that sort of works but does keeps me from dropping rounds through the magazine well. These cartridges are too long to fit in a magazine any way, I use a foam screw driver bit holder found at a hardware store and have that mounted where I can easily move a cartridge from the holder to the chamber.

Last turkey shot but 1st I got to.

The two turkey that I shot today near Dayton, WY

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 11-29-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:33 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Lowell. glad to see it was a 5mm.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 PM

Oh how I wish we could use a rifle for turkey's in Nebraska!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:15 PM
Supporting Member

Good deal a job well done.

Tom
Old 11-30-2021, 12:30 AM

Thats cool! I've thought about trying to get one with an XP-100

Aaron
Old 11-30-2021, 01:08 PM

Default Nice!

Awesome shooting, my 5mm Contender barrel is just itching to get out and do something similar.I know where some turkeys are around Pelzer,lots of em on I85 too for that matter
Matt
Old 11-30-2021, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Turkey Rifles

In Montana, rifles are legal for the fall turkey hunt. Anything you would use on varmints is a good choice. I've taken way more turkeys with anything from .22LR, 20 VarTarg and even .22-250 than I have with a shotgun. Everything is a headshot or neck shot. I actually prefer the neck as the head is moving all the time. Congratulations on your hunt
Old 11-30-2021, 05:47 PM

Great job, congratulations!
Old 11-30-2021, 06:11 PM

Our turkeys spend the summer and fall in the hay fields and pastures after hens come out of the hills with their chicks. They spend the winter in my front yard. Trying to get a shot with a shotgun is pretty hard to do. I got my first turkey last fall with a Shotgun but the rifle seemed to be a better way. The 5mm did just what I wanted, small enough not to spoil any meat, quiet enough to be shot close to town, deadly enough to get the job done. Those that haven't used a rifle or pistol to hunt turkeys please try it. We need to thin these flocks out a lot. My wife uses her Quick Pot to fix them and boy are they good. You can't cook them like a butterball as they have very little fat so come out very dry. Ardis uses a sweet white wine with chopped inions and garlic for a four hours marinade and then using the QP Pressure cooks them in the marinade for about an 1/2 hour. She asked me to get more.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 11-30-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teancum1 View Post
In Montana, rifles are legal for the fall turkey hunt. Anything you would use on varmints is a good choice. I've taken way more turkeys with anything from .22LR, 20 VarTarg and even .22-250 than I have with a shotgun. Everything is a headshot or neck shot. I actually prefer the neck as the head is moving all the time. Congratulations on your hunt
I would love to use a .17HMR! No pellets to chew on!