Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Default New Wildcatter with ?'s

My first venture into wildcatting is to change a Sako L469 that is chambered in 223 Rem to a 6x45. Looking @ Redding dies as I think they come with a tapered expander button. Do you have to use a FL die for expanding the neck or will a neck sizer work? I assume the neck die would also have a tapered expander button. What is the best lube to use for this neck expansion? Right now I use the spray on Hornady lube for standard sizing operations. Is a separate neck expander die worth the extra step from an accuracy standpoint?
I see IMR 8208XBR listed as a suitable powder. As I have 3 rifles that like it & have a ton of it on hand I will start there. Anybody have any experience with 8208 in this cal? Would like to work up a 55 to 70 gr varmint load & a 85 gr. game bullet load. Any suggestions? Any insight or advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default FL

I'm thinking the FL die will have a tapered expanding button, should be all you need to fireform your brass. I did buy my dies used(RCBS) but just about every FL fie set I've seen where you are expanding a neck have the tapered button. I use Imperial wax and swab the necks good on my 6x45 and 6x47's, going from 224 to 243 you just don't work the brass that much. I don't spend any time on case prep until mine are fireformed as you usually lose a little length. I'm thinking 8208 will be a little fast for 70's, I use Varget.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 11-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
My first venture into wildcatting is to change a Sako L469 that is chambered in 223 Rem to a 6x45. Looking @ Redding dies as I think they come with a tapered expander button. Do you have to use a FL die for expanding the neck or will a neck sizer work? I assume the neck die would also have a tapered expander button. What is the best lube to use for this neck expansion? Right now I use the spray on Hornady lube for standard sizing operations. Is a separate neck expander die worth the extra step from an accuracy standpoint?
I see IMR 8208XBR listed as a suitable powder. As I have 3 rifles that like it & have a ton of it on hand I will start there. Anybody have any experience with 8208 in this cal? Would like to work up a 55 to 70 gr varmint load & a 85 gr. game bullet load. Any suggestions? Any insight or advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
I would go with the 3 die s bushing set. I think they give you a little more control and you can get a carbide button. Varget would be a great powder for the heavier loads also.

IMHO,

Jon
Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Supporting Member

If you already have a set of Redding 223 bushing dies purchase the Redding taper expander that goes from .17 to 6mm . Sinclair should have them in stock.
I use this method for my 6 x 222 mag. Ackley. Seems to work fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM

My dies are Hornady 6mm-223. Tapered expander opens necks with ease. I use Imperial sizing wax for most opening operations, or the RCBS lube. I prefer to open necks in a FL sizing die as the neck gets some support and stays straight. I've had issues with bent necks in other chamberings trying to open necks with just tapered plugs.

It's a fascinating little cartridge and due to its use in gas guns, I feel the published loading data is a tad conservative. Buy and use a drop tube when throwing powder charges as its also a cartridge that often operates at near compressed to compressed charges most of the time.

Mine is a Stevens 200 with an Adams&Bennett barrel, very much a budget rifle ... but with locally produced target 67gr projectiles its frighteningly accurate.
Cheers...
Con