Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM

Default CZ 452 .22 WMR Shotgun!!

I used shotgun in the thread title because that's how this one shoots & I am looking for help to remedy the problem. Friend got it from a private seller as NIB about 6 months ago & it appears to be NIB. Installed Rifle Basix trigger, Burris ringmounts, Leupy VX-2 scope, bedded action (fits like a glove), checked barrel channel, it's free floated & checked muzzle crown with 5X magnifying glass, it's perfect. Can't get it to shoot under 2" no matter want ammo is used (tried 6 different loads) & most groups are 2.5"+. Horizontal variance is generally around an inch, though not always, & vertical stinging is horrible & random. Anything about these CZ's that anybody can recommend I try to improve accuracy? I'm starting to think it's just a bad barrel, as this rifle/cartridge combo should shoot 1.5 MOA or less based on what others say. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Old Hawkeye; 03-12-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM

If all else fails, try the original Winchester 40gr. HP's. They've shot the best in the 3, .22 WRM's I've owned.

Vertical dispersion that much, usually means bedding or mounts - bending the action (or scope?) or something mechanical.

This does not sound normal.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Supporting Member

.22 Mags have never shot as well for me as I thought they should but 2 inches is unacceptable and indeed a pattern. I think I'd call CZ and see what their take on it is, I've never had an accuracy issue on one but the other things I've talked to em about they were top notch in handling. Good luck and keep us posted, I've always kinda wanted one of those.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22mag CZ

I had that same rifle and the only thing it would shoot was the Remington Premier 33gr, not a cheap alternative. Anything Win/Fed/CCI was just erratic but didn't string vertically, more like 3 here and 2 there, regardless it was in the 1.5-2" range. The Rem Prem ammo was consistent sub 1", not much but still under 1". Also it was the only ammo that would feed consistently from the mag.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM

I've had s CZ452 in 22WMR since 2001. Initially, make sue you clean all the preservative gunk out of the barrel , or it may never shoot. Also, CZ's are notorious to have some stock warpage that allows the barrel to touch the stock. Make sure to sand out any spots in the barrel channel to make sure the barrel free floats.

My rifle likes the 34gr Winchester Supremes and 33gr Remington Premier, as Chuck said. It will shoot either right at a 3/4" group of 5 at 100yds. The plain silver box 40gr Winchester will shoot right at 1" for 5 at 100yds. None of the ammo from Federal or CCI ranging from 30 to 50gr would shoot less than 2". I do remember that the Supremes and the Premiers were the longest OAL of the WMR loads I measured, using the Sinclair 'nut' tool to measure head to ogive length, like I use to measure bullet seating depth for CF rifles. I had measured more than 10 or 12 brands of 22WMR ammo, but can't find the data. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TinMan; 03-12-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Default 22 mag accuracy

My Ruger 77/22 mag weather beater only shoots the old Winchester Super X Jacketed Hollow Point accurately. Have only tried the older 22 mag types not the new lighter bullet configurations. The Ruger does have a lightened trigger @ 1 LB.

It shoots a Chuck Miller's true slightly less than 1 moa without wind present. Will be using it instead of my 17hm2 for ground squirrels this season.

Chuck Smith

Last edited by charlesasmith; 03-18-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Put in wrong info.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM

O.H. , you might try another Scope and see what happens .
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Supporting Member

Make sure ya check that barrel to fore-end fit as TinMan mentioned, especially on the right side of the barrel on the ones I've had that had pressure anyway.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default CZ bores....

Got to ditto on the bore cleaning advice---SCRUB IT! Finish up with JB paste. The last 4 or 5 'dry' patches will give resistance as the remaining JB black residue comes out - THIS is what seems to do the best cleaning - the final dry patches. Among a few gun friends we have been able to test fire returned (to CZ USA) rifles and several that 'won't shoot' gave excellent accuracy after this thorough cleaning.
Don't think that shooting a few boxes of ammo will clean it. The stuff that CZ puts in the bore does not seem to 'shoot out' like we might assume.
Clean the snot out of it!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I've had s CZ452 in 22WMR since 2001. Initially, make sue you clean all the preservative gunk out of the barrel , or it may never shoot.

Good advice here...Make sure it's clean. I'd soak in ATF and acetone, or Kroil, something to make sure you do get the gunk out. Not 22WMR's but i've seen a couple CZ rimfires that " wouldn't shoot" all they really needed was a thorough cleaning. Cheap way to start on the problem.