Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 AM

Default T-Bolt review & accuracy.

Just finished shooting & testing a new Browning T-Bolt Varmint in 22 WMR. Fit & finish are very nice & the raised comb (which the sporter doesn't have) is conducive to good cheek weld. The double helix magazine is the best mag design I have ever used, it is super easy to load & unload, & fits flush with the stock. Stock was a nice straight grain walnut with a "satin" finish. Checkering wasn't as clean as I expect & needed some checkering oil to properly seal. Inletting was not sealed (which I did), but it had the best "factory" bedding I have seen & the stock fit the action like a glove. Although this is a Varmint/Target model it is not a heavy rifle by any means. Total weight with scope, mounts, loaded mag, & sling is only 6.5 lbs. It is very nicely balanced & the beavertail forearm fits the hand or bags well. I thought the sporter too light & whippy for my taste & didn't see where 8 oz. less weight would have any carry advantage. Function of the action was positive, smooth, & flawless. From the bags I could eject & chamber without dropping my sight picture from the scope. Found that I much prefer this straight pull action design over my conventional bolt 22's. The scope mounts are a one piece ringmount made for Browning by Talley which screw directly to the receiver without bases, although one could use a conventional ring/base combo is desired. I initially mounted a 12X Leupy 40mm objective with AO for accuracy testing & could slide a playing card between barrel & scope bell. It now sports a 3-9X-32mm Leupy EFR with CDS turret & barrel clearance is enough to use a scope cover. Might add this is one of the nicest rimfire scopes I have ever played with & fits the rifle perfectly. Rifle came with the trigger pull @ 4.5 lbs, but it was adjustable down to 3.25 lbs, which is what the manual says is the lower limit. Trigger was VERY crisp & had ZERO overtravel & although heavier than I like, I didn't feel it was a detriment to accuracy from the bench once I got used to it. Shooting offhand in the field may prove different. In researching this rifle I found that the trigger was the main complaint with some experiencing creep & heavier than advertised pull weights. I'm sure they will vary rifle to rifle & I think I was fortunate to get one with an "acceptable" trigger. I recommend you try the trigger at the store & get one with no creep. The weight of pull is a simple external adjustment screw. This is a very complex trigger design & not easily modified. Seems the trigger is integral with the bolt stop & too light of a trigger spring will allow the bolt stop to fail & the bolt will fall out of the back of the action when cycled. There are some threads out there discussing trigger modification, but I decided to live with mine. I emailed Timney & Rifle Basix & neither have plans to offer a trigger @ this time. After finally getting ammo (that's another story) I was able to see what it would do. Tried Hornady 30 gr V-max, CCI 30 & 40 gr HPs, Rem 30 gr Accu-tips & Win Super-X 40 gr JHPs. Didn't shoot anything terribly bad, but the best groups were with the 40 gr Win Super-X. All groups were 5 shots. 25yards- .24", 50 yards- .5", 100 yards- 1.75" I think not being able to aim as precisely at 100 yards is maybe why things opened up, as most groups would have 3 or 4 around an inch with 1 or 2 shots that I refer to as "rimfire flyers". All in all acceptable accuracy for a rifle with an effective range of 125 yards. Might even try playing at longer distances with the CDS turret. A better trigger is about the only thing this rifle needs. Just wanted to pass on my experiences with this rifle/round combo in case anyone was considering one.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Supporting Member

Glad that worked out well for you. Thanks for the detailed report

P.S. one favor for the future? how bout a couple of paragraph breaks to make it easier for these aging eyes to read.