Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ray H. has a dead computer and a question to you fellas with a "Magnetospeed"?

Ray's computer is RIP sad to say so I'm his intermediary.
Ray's question is "What kinda luck do you have with .17 caliber projectiles??
I'm curious too as to what kinda daylight (sunny, overcast) works best and how do you like em with sub-.22 calibers in general??
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member

There's quite a bit of info out there, specially youtube. I had one for 2 months and ended up trading it, should have kept it.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 PM

I use mine all the time with 17's. Just used it this week working on 17 HeBee loads. It's not an optical system so light conditions have no bearing on readings. I generally shoot off a bench under a canopy out of the sun.
The most important thing is to get the proper spacing of the unit below the bore. You do this using a variety of supplied shims. If you get the sensor arm about .25" below the bore, things are good-to-go (there is an alignment bar in the kit).
I've measured 17 air rifle pellets as low as 600 fps and 17 centerfire above 4100 fps.
Finally, contrary to what some say, I don't see a point of impact change with it. At least not at 100 yards. Have not tried it farther.
Ok, now finally, I've seen 4 traditional chronys "killed" at the range in the last 6 months. Never a magnetospeed.
Ok, Ok, really finally. Lots of shooters are really interested in the device and want to talk about it. Many will even ask to use it. It gets so bad at times my standard line is "no problem, it's just a dollar a shot".
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsandfort View Post
Many will even ask to use it. It gets so bad at times my standard line is "no problem, it's just a dollar a shot".

How has that been working out?
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 PM

I'm saving the $ for a new Cooper. Only 2,300 shots to go.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Ray's question is "What kinda luck do you have with .17 caliber projectiles??
I'm curious too as to what kinda daylight (sunny, overcast) works best and how do you like em with sub-.22 calibers in general??
Have had no problems at all with my Magnetospeed V1 with .17 cal projectiles, did all my load development work on it... liked it so much I have now bought the upgraded V2 kit

Magnetospeed works via a magnetic pulse trigger sensor so is a completely different system... no screens to set up and lighting conditions play no part.

Attaching directly to the barrel, it does slightly affect POI but not accuracy.
So once I get the most accurate load, I detach it from the barrel to double check POI and then good to go hunting.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Always causes a great deal of interest at the range... could have sold half a dozen last trip
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM

I have a magnetospeed and love the thing. Always able to read .17 velocities, takes very little time to set up and no chance of shooting a skyscreen. I will never go back to the Oehler that I had! The people that are sceptical, and will not get the magnetospeed seem to be the ones who are simply reluctant to change what they have always relied on.

Ken
Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 PM

Best thing that ever happened to my old Chrony, shooting it. Bought the Magnetospeed when it first came out, sold it for pretty much what I paid for it and bought the latest unit. The light screen units are to the magnetospeed what bag phones are to smart phones, ancient technology.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 PM

I agree with the other responses, the magnetospeed works great with 17 cal. I can't say the same for my Chrony F1 I bought years ago as somewhere between 17HMR and 17WSM it fails to read those little bullets
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM

I've got the v2 and its been a good unit, no complaints here.

I don't miss my old Pact Model 1 or the tripod, sky screens, wires, head unit, large case it sat in, set up time etc...