Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Anyone using ultra bore coat?

Rainy, windy day playing with the sage rat Killin guns. My latest is a 527 17hh that I ultra bore coat treated and now finished cleaning after 6 rounds to get the scope aligned. It did the usual. About 10 patches soaked with a "every other" routine of CU+2 and liquid wipe out soaked patches. The 10 were carbon black and after 10 started light blue and streaks of lighter brownish black.

Another shooting session will in my experience be the same, but my past experience has been " shoot 300 or so at sage rats and no loss of accuracy. These are all factory remington and cz barrels. Cleanup has been 2 days of patches with purple to blue until clear white patches . Then oil and to the vault until next year.

Anyone find good results with Ubc care to share their thoughts? This year I'll be more analytical when cleaning after the rat shoot and use my bores scope to see if this stuff works as advertised. I'll also shoot targets after the abusive shooting sessions to verify my thoughts of not having an excuse of missing squeeks. I haven't needed that excuse in the past, yet, lol.

BTW no barrels were hurt in my rat patch shooting. All are rotated before the bbl is very warm to avoid erosion and allow me to shoot more of my FLEET , Lol

Allen
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM

I'll be curious on this one too. I've almost bought it a few times then just didn't.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM

I tried this when UBC was first being introduced about 7 years ago. No bore scope here so patches were the primary story teller for me.

In terms of copper fouling I was pleased. In terms of accuracy clean barrel to 300 rounds later without cleaning; I was pleased. Not sure if it was carbon or residue from the UBC though, when cleaning the Brown patches never seemed to go away.

Primary disapointment for me is they now seem to encourage a guy to re apply a fresh treatment to the barrel on the order of a annual basis.

Lately I have taken a greater interest in HBN coating my bullets. If I understood things correctly UBC was a spin off of the HBN coated bullets. Advantages of the UBC from my perspective is one may experience the advantages of the anti copper build up with a wide range of ammo including factory loads.
I suspect the guys shooting the all copper bullets may really see a benefit from either the UBC or HBN treated bullets.

Note: HBN and UBC seem to be un-like Moly in the sense they do not attract moisture. I have read of some sad stories of badly pitted barrels that had sat in the safe after using Moly coated bullets.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

Last edited by SDguy605; 02-09-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 PM

I read about the dynatek bore coating process in an article by john barsness. The stuff was a ceramic product(glass?) and was to coat the bore and reduce cleaning time. I tried it and was amazed! Cleaning time was reduced to a few min. Coated a friends factory barrel and he was happy! BUT , my third bottle was a loser! No reduced cleaning time and the patch used to coat the bore was soft, whereas the original formula left the patch stiff after drying. I called a Mr Burch and he confirmed the formula had been changed and all reports were negative, so he was going to convince the wizards that changed it to re formulate the old.. A year later I called and ordered the product and it is back!!! Coated bores clean quickly! You have to follow the instruction closely...the bore has to be absolutely clean prior to application. Shot one gun about 650 rounds and cleaning time went up,so I recoated and cleaning time is again short. I'm a fan.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks.

Was the first batch in plastic bottles and the new stuff in the aluminum containers?

Most of my treated guns are from the Aluminium containers, the plastic ones allowed the product to dry out even with tight lids and Doug B sent me the new bottle stuff free.

Yes, John Barsness has had very good luck, even had pitted bore guns help a bunch. He has had a few he had to recoat to make him happy.

Curious if you have a borescope to see the copper fouling needing the re-application. I had a 17 rem I swore I cleaned spic n span, and Cooper said it was fouled. I bought a borescope soon after that.

Thank you

Allen
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM

My purchases have all been aluminum bottles. I have a borescope but copper fouling has not been a problem since all my barrels are custom stainless. A few will show a little blue but clears with 2-3 patches. No blue streaks, just a blue patch.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bore Coat

I drank the kool-aide when I did my Vartarg build a couple years ago. Brand-new Shilen barrel. I used the Dyna-coat on it before I ever fired a shot. I also coat the bore with moly after every clean and let it sit overnight before I shoot (told you, I drank the kool-aide) and only shoot moly coated bullets. The bore has never seen a bronze brush - nylon only. I clean about every 100 - 300 rounds, depending on what and how often I am shooting. I've never seen any change in my groups from "clean" to "just before clean." I never see a fouler. It pretty much prints half inch or a little better all the time. I know that isn't impressive for some, but it is probably about my limit and all I ask of a gopher gun.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM

I think all the bore coating etc is just urban myths or wishful thinking. With all the violence going on in the bore it is very hard for me to believe anything can be left of any coating after one or two shots. But, if it makes you feel good and the rifle shoots good then go for it. Larry
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM

This product is supposedly ceramic particles measuring .25 microns in dia. This would be extremely small glass like particles. The extreme heat and pressure of the bullet passing over the coating supposedly convert these particles into a glass-like surface and powder residue and copper don't adhere as previously. Ceramic product were used to coat the tiles on the space shuttle. Jet engine parts also use ceramics. A LOT of heat here and the ceramics survive. My barrels clean in very short order, so I believe this product does as it is advertised.