Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ45 View Post
I'm not sure a .378 bf in 6mm will do much more than the PPC, BRs or XC will. Trying to trim things back a bit and am not into the ARs.

Not sure what AR's have to do with anything but no, not much different than a PPC in performance. Biggest difference would be easier repeater feeding on a variety of short actions for colony varmints and brass availability/expense.

A couple 20's, a 223, and a couple 6mm's has about every situation covered already.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:34 PM

Default Ar ?

It seems some guys will do a 6mm x45 on them.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:38 PM

Default Redux decision time

Quote:
Compared to the 20 Duster, what is the diff in forming aggravation, velocity, powder favorites and anything else that comes to mind?
Not familiar with the 20 Duster, but the 20 VT is simple to form, run a 221FB case into the fl sizing die, load and wala you have the VT case formed to your chamber. AA2200 powder is one of the top one's, loads in the area of 20 grain with the 32 grain bullet give good average of 36-3700 FPS. Accurate and cool shooting if you have long running critter shoots. Check out articles by Brad at Custom Reloading Tools for plenty of info on that round. Also Kindler's book "terrific twenties". Bill K
Old 06-30-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Time to thin chamberings and simplify my reloading life.
End use will be squeeks, p dogs, rock chucks and occasional ground hog.

Bbl Stash = 204, 224 both w/11 TW or faster, 6mm bbls up to 7.5tw

Reamers: 20VT, 20 Duster, 20 Tac, 223AI, 22-250AI, XC, 6.5 Creed.

Brass: 222 Lapua and Win, all new, a lot.
223 Lapua, PMC, IMI, LC new and/or 1x. A lot. 22ppc a lot, 7.62x39 PMC, IMI, a lot. 6ppc plenty, 308 large & small primer for xc or Creed brass mfrg.

Chambered bolt guns: 19-223 w/400 brass, 20BR bbl, 20 Prac bbl, 223, 223AI, 22-250, several 6ppc, 6BRs, Dasher, BRX, XC.
I'm think b/c of lack of popularity and market, I'll keep the 19 for squirrels. The 20 Prac bbl will screw right on that Savage.

A Bud will chamber for me or may do it myself, while cutting my teeth.
So, in light of simplifying things with above end use, time to stop acquiring and burn the powder and primers I've been stock piling.
Suggestions? Thoughts?
In the last few years I have gone through the same thing you are thinking of doing. I have settled on the 223 Rem, 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips as my go-to cartridge combo. There is a ton of easily available 223 brass, lots of bullets available, and a great many powders that work well with it.
I use it for PD's, ground squirrels, rock chucks, and coyotes, it works well on all of them. By going to a one cartridge - one bullet load for everything my hit ratio has increased dramatically because I use it so much that I hardly have to think about where to hold on small targets out to 300 yards. It is in line with the old saying - "beware the man with one rifle, he knows how to use it", in this case substitute one load for one rifle and the results are the same. While it is fun to have all of the various cartridges sometimes it can be overwhelming.

IMO anything larger than a 223 R with 40 gr bullets is not necessary for any of your suggested shooting. Another plus for this combo is that you can see your hits / misses and do not need a spotter to call for you.

As far as ground squirrel hunting - a 22-250 is overkill, they are small only about 6 inches high, and 1-1/2 inches wide, and are usually shot within a couple of hundred yards. I do most of my ground squirrel shooting with a 22 lr out to a 100 yds, and if they are further out then I use the 223. 500 to 700 rounds days are not uncommon so economics and fatigue become a factor with that much shooting.

I have sold of many of my rifles that were not being used very much,
bought some quality rifles chambered in 223, topped them with good glass.
You could sell off a lot of your surplus and spend the money on components and shooting trips.
just my .02 cents.

drover
Old 06-30-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Time to thin chamberings and simplify my reloading life.
End use will be squeeks, p dogs, rock chucks and occasional ground hog.

Bbl Stash = 204, 224 both w/11 TW or faster, 6mm bbls up to 7.5tw

Reamers: 20VT, 20 Duster, 20 Tac, 223AI, 22-250AI, XC, 6.5 Creed.

Brass: 222 Lapua and Win, all new, a lot.
223 Lapua, PMC, IMI, LC new and/or 1x. A lot. 22ppc a lot, 7.62x39 PMC, IMI, a lot. 6ppc plenty, 308 large & small primer for xc or Creed brass mfrg.

Chambered bolt guns: 19-223 w/400 brass, 20BR bbl, 20 Prac bbl, 223, 223AI, 22-250, several 6ppc, 6BRs, Dasher, BRX, XC.
I'm think b/c of lack of popularity and market, I'll keep the 19 for squirrels. The 20 Prac bbl will screw right on that Savage.

A Bud will chamber for me or may do it myself, while cutting my teeth.
So, in light of simplifying things with above end use, time to stop acquiring and burn the powder and primers I've been stock piling.
Suggestions? Thoughts?
In the last few years I have gone through the same thing you are thinking of doing. I have settled on the 223 Rem, 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips as my go-to cartridge combo. There is a ton of easily available 223 brass, lots of bullets available, and a great many powders that work well with it.
I use it for PD's, ground squirrels, rock chucks, and coyotes, it works well on all of them. By going to a one cartridge - one bullet load for everything my hit ratio has increased dramatically because I use it so much that I hardly have to think about where to hold on small targets out to 300 yards. It is in line with the old saying - "beware the man with one rifle, he knows how to use it", in this case substitute one load for one rifle and the results are the same. While it is fun to have all of the various cartridges sometimes it can be overwhelming.

IMO anything larger than a 223 R with 40 gr bullets is not necessary for any of your suggested shooting. Another plus for this combo is that you can see your hits / misses and do not need a spotter to call for you.

As far as ground squirrel hunting - a 22-250 is overkill, they are small only about 6 inches high, and 1-1/2 inches wide, and are usually shot within a couple of hundred yards. I do most of my ground squirrel shooting with a 22 lr out to a 100 yds, and if they are further out then I use the 223. Five hundred to 700 rounds days are not uncommon so economics and fatigue become a factor with that much shooting. I have already gone through 5000 rounds of 22 lr and 1800 rounds or 223 this year and still have about a month of squirrel shooting to go.

I have sold of many of my rifles that were not being used very much,
bought some quality rifles chambered in 223 and topped them with good glass.
Why not sell off a lot of your surplus and spend the money on components and shooting trips.

just my .02 cents.

drover
Old 06-30-2017, 08:17 PM

Drover has some very fine points, and there is not one thing wrong with the old 223 Rem.
I shoot a couple of mine regularly also, but for shooting, right along with the 223, the 20 VT is becoming my go to rifle, with the lower recoil and noise, it is just so pleasant to shoot, for longer periods in the varmint fields.
Just one more thing to consider in your choice. Bill K
Old 06-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Is this a auction ?
Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
Is this a auction ?
Funny, but how much would you bid ? Bill K
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 PM

Go with those chamberings that allow someone to make brass from a popular parrent case. Bundle gun/die sets so that in the event someone else has to liquidate them (not wishing you in the ground but it is inevitable) there will be added value to the sets.

You have lots of fun choices. I like the 20VT.