Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM

I am going to try one the Trigger Tech triggers out. I don't find a need to send it back. And yes a "gunsmith" did a trigger job for me years ago, and I am not in love with it. I had also heard that some guys were spraying down with WD40 and it gummed up the triggers.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Installed a Triggertech Primary trigger in one of my Rem 700s a couple of weeks ago. Trigger advertised to adjust from 1.5 to 4 lbs. Mine adjusted down to 1 1/4 lbs. Nice trigger; zero creep and very crisp break. Can be easily adjusted w/o removing barreled action from the stock. Made in Canada.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Dried out WD40 and related type lube-cleaners was a major problem when these triggers were tested by Remington R&D Group at Elizabeth, KY when my son was a lead engineer there during this time period. I got soundly educated about using these lubricates.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 PM

The X-Mark Pro's I have replaced with Shilen's. No way am I going to have my older ones replaced with POS X Marks.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:23 PM

I have Timney's installed on the few Remingtons I own.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Just attended a funeral of a family friend today. Saw my 2nd cousin, my Dad's cousin. He has just gotten out of the hospital (77 days) and rehab facility (3 weeks). He took a 222 50 gr Vmax to the GUT at point blank range. His loaded, older 700 was in the gun rack on his 4 wheeler and he dismounted to shoot a groundhog. Wasn't touching the gun and it went off. Has a couple remaining infections, a colostomy bag and is DAMN LUCKY to be alive. His comment to me was "Remington is paying the bills".

This guy was a county constable, ran for Sheriff and lost...law enforcement type. Even though he's my cousin, he's a dumbass!!! Having a loaded gun on the 4-wheeler over a damn groundhog is just plain stupid/negligent! The safety is between your ears A-hole! (And I TOLD him that in those words!)

Moral of the story is, this IS unfortunately a known issue, no matter what the cause. Replace the trigger (correctly) or send it in for the recall. Keep your triggers clean. Use lighter fluid NOT WD-40 to clean it. Be aware, if you don't have it fixed it could come back to haunt you! And always follow the 10 Commandments of gun safety.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Interesting story Charlie....

I blame the ground hog If he was not out of his hole......
To me your last sentence is what we all need to remember and heed!
Matt
Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default Remington

I use Rem oil.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Recall on Remington Model 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
Just attended a funeral of a family friend today. Saw my 2nd cousin, my Dad's cousin. He has just gotten out of the hospital (77 days) and rehab facility (3 weeks). He took a 222 50 gr Vmax to the GUT at point blank range. His loaded, older 700 was in the gun rack on his 4 wheeler and he dismounted to shoot a groundhog. Wasn't touching the gun and it went off. Has a couple remaining infections, a colostomy bag and is DAMN LUCKY to be alive. His comment to me was "Remington is paying the bills".

This guy was a county constable, ran for Sheriff and lost...law enforcement type. Even though he's my cousin, he's a dumbass!!! Having a loaded gun on the 4-wheeler over a damn groundhog is just plain stupid/negligent! The safety is between your ears A-hole! (And I TOLD him that in those words!)

Moral of the story is, this IS unfortunately a known issue, no matter what the cause. Replace the trigger (correctly) or send it in for the recall. Keep your triggers clean. Use lighter fluid NOT WD-40 to clean it. Be aware, if you don't have it fixed it could come back to haunt you! And always follow the 10 Commandments of gun safety.
Even though your cousin says he was not touching the gun, I would almost bet he was, and starting to pull the rifle, by the barrel, pointed at his gut, loaded chamber, no safety on and the trigger touched something and of course the rifle fired.
a few years back a couple I know where road hunting and one pulled his loaded rifle from the front seat, as they jumped out to shoot a deer, and the same thing occurred. Loaded chamber, no safety on, trigger was pulled by(probably his jacket on the seat) it fired and he had it also pointed at his gut, pulling it out by the barrel. IN this case however this guy was not so fortunate, he died. AND this rifle was not a Remington, by the way, so my point is First, safety rules and Second, it was not the rifles unsafe trigger. Glad your cousin, did not suffer the same fate. Bill K
Old 07-28-2018, 01:42 PM

Humans always want to put the blame on something besides themselves. Can't
stand the though of admitting they were the cause of a problem.

Tags
bankruptcy, dangerous trigger, remington, remington m700