Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Default We are moving to near Gillette, WY, is there anyone on here from there?

Good Morning;
I think that we are moving to near Gillette WY as soon as possible. Is there anyone on this forum that live near that part of Wyoming. We are Very excited. I know that I need to bone up on my windage charts and get warmer coats. I thought that it would be nice to know if there fellow small bore guys in that area.

Thank you

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 AM

I'd love to live in that part of the state. Have a few friends there and I try to visit every year. Good luck on your move!

Aaron
Old 12-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Its been awhile since I lived in that general area, but I get back there regularly. You are moving to the center of the modern oil and gas patch in Wyoming which brings both good and bad, depending on your perspective. Gillette is on the wide open to the wind plains, as you may well be aware, and you are probably 70 miles from Buffalo, which along with Sheridan, are the eastern gateways to the Big Horn Mountains. Its about the same distance to the Black Hills of NE Wyo/South Dakota. There's not a lot there on the prairie other than good antelope hunting and some scattered pd shooting on both public and private land.

Gillette grew from a town of maybe 5k people to its present 30K+ people beginning in the 1970's. For a time it was a wide open oil town, but time has probably tamed that considerably. Like most oil towns, the cost of living will be significant. And it probably isn't a key place on very many "See Wonderful Wyoming" brochures.............

Best of luck with the move.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 AM

Thank you guys, our oldest son graduated for U of WY in 2000. He was a Cowboy Poet and had a Country Western band that played at most of the "more interesting spots" from the Red line in Montana to the Denver Bright lights. He told me much the same as BCB. We have been very impressed with how the town has grown into their role as an Energy Supply Center. I tried real hard to settle in town for what I suspect is our last real move, that is not happening. I have some real interesting projects to work on and need to be able to shoot when I want too. So we are looking at many areas that are on the outer fringe of the Gillette Basin, some of them are way out, because you know, that being ten miles from someone on the same road makes you next door neighbors by WY count. I was born in WY and sure glad to be headed back. After we get settled I will pass our information around and hope that some of you guys will have time to stop by and visit for a while.

Lowell

Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Lowell:

Don't think I ever spent the night up there.
Did haul many a load of pipe up there from the steel mill
down here. Quite awhile ago though, I quit trucking
Dec '75. So whatever I'd have to say wouldn't relate
by now.

Other than: If it was me, i'd wait til spring thaw at least.
too damned cold this time of year.

Wish you the best with the move. Try to find some place with
a wind break so you can shoot more often.

Know you've heard this" "snow never melts in Wyo, it just wears out
blowing back n forth". whole lotta truth in that.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Default I know a couple SP shooters....

in that area,and a pastor that takes his flock shooting
Also hear tell of a good gunsmith or two up there as well.
Good luck with the move Lowell,I helped some ranchers move in April in Colorado during a snow storm,it makes for great memories
It sure is beautiful country.
Matt
Old 12-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Good luck on the move Lowell!

I’m starting to look for another home away from Western Washington as well. Time for a new chapter.

Neil
Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks again for the encouragement. Neil, it is time to get out of WA. I don't know what you are looking for but I find Wyoming to be an exciting and full of opportunism. The NE corner is not as cold as many other parts of WY. Weatherby just moved their factory from CA to Sheridan, WY. We are moving for family reasons but things are happening in that area, I can't keep up with the places that are put up for sale and then sold before I can even think about looking at them.

Lowell

Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Then it's a GOOD time to get out. Your place should sell quickly for a good price. I'll ne sure to stop by next time I'm out that way.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 PM

Lowell,

One thing I Have noticed is that sometimes on the prairie there are properties available that have a shop or pole building and an abandoned old house. Power and water on site. Probably the result of consolidating farms / renting land to big operations moving into town or whatever. Anyway, throw a match on the house or tear it down, have a pre-fab house installed, and all set!

Wyoming isn’t out of the question for me. I’ll just start looking and it will take some time. The looking will be a lot of fun!

Keep us posted on your progress.