Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 12-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Default 45 Auto Rim / acp / Super

photubucket pictures deleted!

Last edited by DAVID; 03-02-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:21 PM

nice build.

Something to be said about a quiet shooting big bore! That's very respectable accuracy from a straight walled pistol cartridge.

That thing begs to be threaded and have a can spun on.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Cool build David. A 250 gr at 1200 fps isn't too shabby for a case .900 long. And accurate to boot.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Thank you ray h!

Thank you squirrel _slayer!

The 1,200 fps loads are for deer hunting only. I had to cut my post short yesterday since my wife and I were going to a church get together yesterday evening...

I thought about putting a "can" on this gun after I finished it, but decided totally against it. With my everyday loads, I shot this gun next to a 300 Blackout and a 223 with a suppressor, and my gun was considerably more quiet than what either of those guns were!

I built this gun for deer hunting and plinking around my property, without getting my neighbors upset every time a high powered rifle goes off. My neighbors are less than 100 yards away on three sides of my property, and on the backside, I have a beautiful 2 acre area with a creek running through it, and as long as I keep the corn feeder filled, deer are eating there on a fairly regular basis. My furthest shot from the deer blind to the feeder is 62 yards.

I finished this gun 2 days before our gun season, made up a couple of rounds to test fire, and I got lucky with my first set of loads. The distance from my deer blind to the corn feeder is 32 yards, and that is what I set my scope at. And at 32 yards, you could shoot 1-shot or 3-shots and could not tell a difference in group size unless you used a big magnifying glass!

First day of rifle gun season, I shot a 120 pound doe right between the eyes. Needless to say, it dropped like a rock! Next day, one of my buddy's came by and I let him shoot a deer with my gun, and told him it HAD to be a head shot or nothing. He agreed and about 30 minutes after going to my deer blind, I went outside to do a couple of chores, and Russell was sitting on my front porch. I asked him what was wrong, and he said he needed help dragging a deer to the barn and help skinning it! I put the gun up, grabbed a rope and bar and walked to the back side of my property. Sure enough, there was a 230 pound 11 point buck laying on the ground with a bullet hole through it's left eye!

The third deer was killed by Shawn, another friend, 5 days after Russell killed his deer. Almost the same circumstances as before, but Shawn's deer was a cull buck, with a 4 inch spike on one side and an 18 inch spike on the other. This was the third year of seeing this deer, and from game camera pictures, it was nearly identical the first and second season as well, so I was glad it was gone! Bullet placement? Dead center between the eyes!

This was why I first named this gun HEAD SHOT, and the reason for having to shoot deer in the head was one, you would have either a clean kill OR a clean miss. If the deer ran off in any direction and jumped the fences, we would not be allowed to retrieve them, so they had to he literally dead at the shot! My neighbors are great people, but they don't like ANY of the animals around the area being shot. NO deer, squirrels, crows, turkey, coyotes or anything else!

So, plain and simple, this gun was build to legally harvest game without my neighbors knowing it and upsetting them. And when I developed loads for this gun, I asked each of my neighbors if they heard me "test fire" a new gun I just finished, and they all said no. Mission accomplished!

My "deer loads" were clocked at 850 fps. and were loaded with Speer's 250 gr. Deep Curl bullets. A "quiet load" with a deadly punch! The gun is a little heavy at 8 pounds 4 ounces, but it does everything I need it to, and it is sooo much fun to shoot!
Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM

fantastic story and sounds like a perfect purpose built weapon!

it's amazing what a couple grains of fast powder in these things can do. I had a 16.5" hi-point 9mm carbine years back and with 158gr cast bullets sized .356 over 3.2gr of W231 it was quieter than a 22 but had some smack behind it! also being a swc it cut perfect holes in the paper.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

David are you using a 1-16 tw? Have you shot any heavy cast in it?
Old 12-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Talking

Thank you squirrel_slayer!

Ray H - yes Sir, I am running a 1-16" twist rate. No, I have not. Just me personally, I don't like cast bullets.

Last edited by DAVID; 12-18-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: TMI
Old 12-16-2019, 06:53 PM
Supporting Member

David, I’ve always enjoyed reading about your builds. This one is especially interesting. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Thank you craig55, I appreciate it!

You're welcome!
Old 12-31-2019, 01:35 PM

Just for general interest and a follow up, I just finished some velocity testing with 165 gr. and 185 gr. bullets in the rifle shown in the first post, and was able to get consistent velocities of 1,800 fps. with the lighter bullets, and 1,700 fps. with the heavier bullets.

Accuracy was identical to what was shown on the targets shot at 125 yards.

And trajectory was considerably less than that of the heavier 230 gr. and 250 gr. bullets.

I have seen bullets as light as 65 gr. (not a misprint) that will easily exceed 2,000 fps. from the 45 acp, with some reports showing that 2,200 fps. is possible with near explosive performance! At least me personally, I see no interest in a bullet like that, but none the less they are available, and quite expensive at that!