Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2020, 02:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
You are a good man with way more patients than me. 4320 was also my first powder in the 17 rem (which was a 14” contender). It was because of this that partially got me Into being a wildcatter before I ever heard of that term. But it did shoot well. My 17 Rem go to load is Tac and the 25 Vmax... same combo for the 17-222, the 17 Wenzl Special and I believe the 17 Jav Imp as well as the 20 BR with 40 gr vmax. Don’t ask me why I have all these Many other Powders sitting around lol
I reload for just about every caliber I shoot so I think with the 17 Rem, at the time I just did not have time to play around with a lot of other powders. I do have a great load worked up for my 220 Swift using AA2700 but did not think about trying it in my 17.

I have never used Tac, maybe it is something I should look into? The problem, as you allude to, is that if I tried every powder, bullet, primer and case configuration people recommend, I would never settle on anything and have shelves full of partially used components. Right now, I have enough as it is! LOL
Old 09-02-2020, 02:32 PM

The problem, as you allude to, is that if I tried every powder, bullet, primer and case configuration people recommend, I would never settle on anything and have shelves full of partially used components. Right now, I have enough as it is! LOL[/quote]

A person can begin "Chasing his tail" so too speak, if you start checking all the load data that others tell you works.
Find a couple of powders in your own loading manuals and work up a load with them in Your rifle, find a good accurate one, with a PFS you like and enjoy it.
Overall you will find you will settle into a good load and it will do the job you want and get all the critters you can hit. Bill K
Old 09-02-2020, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Sound advice, Bill.

I bought my first 17 Remington rifle in the mid 1970's and I have bought several more than a dozen others since then. Through it all, I've stayed with the first powder that I ever tried in that first 17 Rem rifle around 1974-75 that provides excellent accuracy and great velocity for me....just a blink under 4K fps in a 24" barrel.

Since then I've played the "less filling....tastes great" approach a few times, especially after the internet came around with advice from any and all experts about life's latest and greatest solutions. If I were to buy another 17 Remington rifle today, I'd bet that it too would shoot the same powder and bullet to the same level of accuracy and velocity that I've seen in all of the others......at least 15 at last count. And that load has been a very effective coyote killer over the years.

One person here told me maybe 10 years ago that he grew tired of me constantly recommending an old, less temperature sensitive, less "this and that" powder, when the world had so many other better options available, so I won't say what powder it is. I bet the search feature will offer some hints if you're interested...

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Have not located any 2700 yet. Data shows it will work in 22Nosler for what I am looking for in that also.

Has anyone used 414/760 in the 17 Remington with 25’s? If so did you see any issues with temps?

Getting into the extreme thoughts. Until these “new” powders were available I don’t recall a lot of alarming talk about some of the temp sensitive powders they speak of today. A dose of common sense goes a long way.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:30 PM

I have used it, and had no issues with temperatures, but I loaded it for 100+°F for PD fields. Still ran about 3800fps with a reduced load, and got around 5/8-3/4" groups at 100 yds. 1:10 twist Shilen barrel.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Have not located any 2700 yet. Data shows it will work in 22Nosler for what I am looking for in that also.

Has anyone used 414/760 in the 17 Remington with 25’s? If so did you see any issues with temps?

Getting into the extreme thoughts. Until these “new” powders were available I don’t recall a lot of alarming talk about some of the temp sensitive powders they speak of today. A dose of common sense goes a long way.
Amen to that........ Unfortunately common sense isn't something that you run across daily on the internet...

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Amen to that........ Unfortunately common sense isn't something that you run across daily on the internet...

-BCB
Or anywhere else these days.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I've never had a .17 Rem. Just too hot a round for my needs.
Used one on a coyote up close and blew it in half. Lost interest in it with one shot.
Guy on here was trying to sell it to me.

I used to play that game of sorting powders. Ended up a a bunch of cans
never being used. Don't recall what I did with 'em now too many years ago.

Got it sorted down to about 4 or 5 powders for everything I shoot or load for.
From the 17 VR, to .358RUM and bunch of various revolvers.

I've never felt the need to get all the velocity that can be turned out in anything.
For me I've settled on about 3000fps for most, til the 17 came along
This lil 17 VR turns 3460fps with 9.5gr 1680, I shot a few with 10.0gr and never
saw the need for that much more. Plus I blew a gun up at 10.2gr.

The 358 RUM, just the test loads got way more than I feel a need for.
Whole lotta powder in that case. With a 250gr slug and 99gr 7828=3240fps.
Blast was horrendous, recoil way too much. That's with a 15lb rifle too.
IF n whenever I get back to loading for it again, will cut it back to about 95gr.
That turned about 3000fps.

I do like to find out what a gun will turn out while watching the primers and brass,
velocity on a chrono. Then cut it back a bit. Seems to work for me that way.

The main thing with these tiny cases is keep in mind: The pressure is there,
whether you dump in more powder or not. Be careful not to blow things up.
I got mighty lucky only getting a few specs of blood on my trigger hand.

Re: Be Careful First, Then Have Fun!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 09-04-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post

Really? - 3rd & 5th posts on page one, along with 6th on page 2..

Last edited by Daryl; 09-04-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:11 PM

The decade or so of running w760 and Berger 25 gr varmints(mef) for red fox pelts was all the same powder load. At typical shooting distances on sleeping red fox, I don't think you would notice even 100 fps difference in velocity in poi. Depending on wind and snow cover noise most shots (9 out of 10) would be 50-200 yards. When ever possible I would stalk for a head shot between 90 and about 150. This would result in a no exit wound, so no sewing, much less work putting up the fur. First couple years with the 17 I ran the Hornday 25 hp, those will often split the head right between the ears, requiring a few stiches. There wasn't many coyote around, so the mef bullets were the way to go for fox and winter raccoon.