Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I bought a Lee collet die for the Hornet, but went back to partial FL sizing with my Hornady dies. As I was only sizing 1/2 of the neck, this left a smaller shoulder on the neck. I am sure this added in accuracy.
As I was only sizing part of the neck and barely touching the rest of the case, I did not have to outside lube them, so no wiping after sizing. I did have to inside neck lube the cases.
I did this in 2 CZ Hornets, so roughly 16,000 to 17,000 times using about 900-1,000 cases altogether.
Also, with the .218 Bee Ruger, I partial FL sized using Hornady dies again. I really liked those dies for that purpose. The seating dies are super as well as the expander plug being beautifully shaped.
Very good description, pretty much matches what I do except for the die used. Not have to lube and clean is a big time saver.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:12 PM

Agree, also how I do my 17 HH, and seems also to gain better accuracy and case life.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:01 PM

Very similar here, NS about 3/4 length of the neck using the Hornady NS die, and inside lube the neck with powdered graphite.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Yep, I am another one who partial sizes with a regular size die. I used to use the lee collet die but since I have more than a few Hornets and the chambers vary, usually the length of the neck and shoulder height. I found some chambers the Lee die will actually size into the shoulder. I had to use a washer on the shell holder if I wanted it to work. I found it funny, the Anschutz (Europe) chambers were fine with the Lee but the US made chambers (Ruger, T/C) didn't work so well. Even though I keep my brass separated I just partial size the neck with the regular FL die now.

Due to the fragile cases I started using a Forester seater die with the floating chamber, works good.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Very good description, pretty much matches what I do except for the die used. Not have to lube and clean is a big time saver.
A bushing size die would have been better, however different bushings would have to be used for different brass.

For example, WW is thicker than R-P & would require a larger dia. than the Rem brass.
In my first CZ, I used only RP brass, but did experiment with WW brass in the second one.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:28 PM
Board Sponsor

FWIW
RWS and PPU are both quite thick.

Remington is quite thin.

Avoid the new Winchester (red bag) it is thin and has a bad history of blowing the heads at low and high pressure.

I cannot comment on Hornady brass but I believe it thicker than Rem and thinner than PPU and RWS.

RWS does have some issues with some shell holders, they cut the rim quite square and some shell holders do not like it.

Best in show for the value is the PPU, it is consistent and inexpensive but you will want to anneal it after the first or second firing, from there every 8-10 or so will do.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 09-11-2020, 04:18 PM

I use L.E. Wilson bushing dies, and love them. I much prefer a bushing die for the Hornet as nearly every kind of brass requires a different bushing. I have yet to full length resize, but I only have 4 fireings on my Remington brass. I use a full case of LilGun which is fairly low psi, which might help with case life. I would really try to stick to one brand of brass if possible. I shoot a Savage 40 and it's better not to lean on psi with it.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 PM

I've had great results a Lee Collet die set. Easy to use and inexpensive.
Scott