Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
They may group well for some with 10tw barrels, especially those at higher elevations, but you won't be getting the full BC of the bullet.

Elevation benefits bullet BC, from a slower twist barrel, much more than does velocity.
Very good post B23. You said a lot in very few words.

I live at sea level (ok - my driveway is 93' above sea level about 45 miles inland) and that definitely affects bullet stability based on barrel twist. Sea level is where I generally develop loads for my rifles. Because we live in a world with cars, trains, and air planes, a lot of my varmint shooting happens at much higher altitudes. Based on existing and readily available ballistic knowledge that is available to anyone with an IQ in the positive number range, a load will tend to shoot better at higher altitudes. Not always but generally...........

And whose name is on the back of the rifle receiver has little to do with whether a bullet will be stabilized or whether it won't. If the rife is generally accurate as it exists, one can find a load for it that will shoot. But that load might not shoot the same everywhere the rifle travels to or from.

If we had PD's in south Texas, I would wager that one man's accurate pet load in Boz Angeles, MT might not shoot very well in H-Town, TX, especially in a rifle with a marginal barrel twist for the bullet being used. The danger of that happening is far less if one goes the other direction.

As an aside, the load I shoot in my 17 Remington rifles using that "dreaded and dangerous IMR 4198" was developed at a significantly higher elevation in my early adulthood based on where I lived at the time. But all of the 17 Rem rifles I have ever had/have since late 1973 all had/have 9" twist barrels with the exception of the Cooper that I mentioned yesterday or whenever it was. That same load shoots great in the low country as well in the 9" twist barrels. I mentioned earlier that it is marginal here at sea level in the 10" twist Cooper.

To each their own, but for insurance, I'd go with a 9" twist barrel every time. I bought the Cooper for the wood it has on it........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-04-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarity............
Old 09-03-2019, 02:49 PM

As an aside, the load I shoot in my 17 Remington rifles using that "dreaded and dangerous IMR 4198" was developed at a significantly higher elevation in my early adulthood based on where I lived at the time.

Like you, I would guess, kind of chuckle when I see something like that "Dreaded and dangerous IMR 4198 or even H 4198" Have shot and used it for years in several weapons, as thousands of other have and never a issue.
Any powder can be dangerous if use with a over max load or abused. One of the reason the companies have such a warning on all the powders on the market. It is the man using it, not the product that is the danger, when they don't follow directions. Bill K
Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
As an aside, the load I shoot in my 17 Remington rifles using that "dreaded and dangerous IMR 4198" was developed at a significantly higher elevation in my early adulthood based on where I lived at the time.

Like you, I would guess, kind of chuckle when I see something like that "Dreaded and dangerous IMR 4198 or even H 4198" Have shot and used it for years in several weapons, as thousands of other have and never a issue.
Any powder can be dangerous if use with a over max load or abused. One of the reason the companies have such a warning on all the powders on the market. It is the man using it, not the product that is the danger, when they don't follow directions. Bill K
If you hang around the internet long enough, Bill, you can and likely will hear just about anything. IMR 4198 has given me excellent accuracy in every 17 Rem rifle I've ever shot at the expense of maybe 75-100 fps velocity at the top end. I'll take accuracy over top velocity any day of the week.

I quit worrying about who has the fastest in the neighborhood when I quit riding bicycles as a kid.... Take care.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM

I suspect that I bought my first 17 remington in the 700 series about the same time. Remington recalled it before I got to shoot it. Dutifully sent it in, then they told me 39 weeks on expedite. So I asked them to send me the rifle back so I could install a Shilen blank. The only way they would do that is if they kept their barrel, no compensation to me. So I have not bought a new Remington since the 80's and never will. It wears the old 10 twist Shilen stainless...still.

Some of my friends alluded to me about sulfur inclusions migrating to the center of bore, the 17 cal bore was evidentally inside that dimension, so they told me and they were blank makers. I really do not know or care since my customer interface up that way.

If I was building a new rifle with a new blank, it certainly today might be a 9 twist. If I was building a new rifle in a smaller case or intending to use up some old bullets, the $100 stainless blanks in 17 cal(sales, clearances) do me ok. I am not sure why a 17 bumble bee needs more than 10 twist, but to each their own and requirements.

Just like in most responses to a generic query, let your common sense, need, sources, make the answer for you.