Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-26-2018, 08:37 PM

Kerry, you are correct, I just checked Todds Sensational Seventeens and on page 43 is the picture of the 3 bolts 21, 38 and old 38 in 17AH. The 2 38's are both shorter than the 21. The article was written by Alex Clarke.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I agree with varmintshooter, but didn't want to walk downstairs to go measure. My M21 is from 1998 and my M38 is from 2001. Sometime after 2001, I believe the M38 had some changes made in the bolt also (lug length/size, I think). That may have been about that same time that some calibers were dropped from the M38 and were only made available in the M21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
The 21 and 38 are not the same. I just measured my 21 and my 38 to confirm what I already knew, the action on a 38 is 1" shorter than the action of a 21

That's interesting to hear. When I spoke with her this morning she told me they were the same but only the calibers were different. After she told me this, I looked through the available calibers and saw none of the calibers crossed over from the 21 to the 38.

I don't know, I was just stating what they told me today.

Last edited by jimreed1948; 10-26-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

I want a Cooper Jackson squirrel rifle so bad I can't stand it! My wife said NO!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I want a Cooper Jackson squirrel rifle so bad I can't stand it! My wife said NO!!!!!!
Ask again, lol. I have one in .22lr and it is everything you think it is. I have been very pleased with all of my Coopers.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default Cooper

I want the JSR in 22 Magnum. Wife said sell some guns then you can get one . But thst ain't going to happen
Old 10-28-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
That's interesting to hear. When I spoke with her this morning she told me they were the same but only the calibers were different. After she told me this, I looked through the available calibers and saw none of the calibers crossed over from the 21 to the 38.

I don't know, I was just stating what they told me today.
The calibers are different because the 38 adapts better to smaller case calibers. The 21 is definitely a longer action. I had a 38 in 20VT and upgraded to a 21 for that reason.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Go get your Cooper on order now!

It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission (didn't you learn that in "guy-school"? )

I've only got four Coopers (221FB, 20VT, 204R, 223), and all of them shoot under .3" @ 100yd with my handloads. These rifles have the best reputation for accuracy than any other factory offering that I'm aware of. They all outshoot my Kimber 84M Varmint in 204R.

You know you want it, and Christmas is just around the corner........

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 10-28-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Default Model 38 bolt.

I have several larger gauges than 17AH in M38 actions. They all have the same problem, which is that they have major trouble ejecting an unfired VMax round.

This was primarily due to Dan Cooper being too hard headed to change the full back opening on the M38s a very small amount. I complained about it and Dan Pickett said he thought it would take a 2x4 several strokes to have him do it. Rob Behr would make the change for you if you sent it back.

The reason they deleted the larger than 17AH/HH rifles in the M38 lines was having to make some of those rifles in both actions, a major money problem for a small manufacturer the size of Cooper.

Bottom line, I would not buy a M38 in the larger calibers like the 20VT. I have several , but have had them modified.

Alex
Old 10-29-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I want the JSR in 22 Magnum. Wife said sell some guns then you can get one . But thst ain't going to happen
I really want another in 17 Mach II. I have come close a couple times to buying one. There was one in particular that I repeatedly kick myself for passing on. Live and learn I guess, lol!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Go get your Cooper on order now!

It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission (didn't you learn that in "guy-school"? )

I've only got four Coopers (221FB, 20VT, 204R, 223), and all of them shoot under .3" @ 100yd with my handloads. These rifles have the best reputation for accuracy than any other factory offering that I'm aware of. They all outshoot my Kimber 84M Varmint in 204R.

You know you want it, and Christmas is just around the corner........
Rick,
How many of yours are Model 38 actions? I really want another Model 38.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.