Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-24-2019, 11:50 PM

Default Cooper service

Has anyone here had a rifle serviced by Cooper lately ?
How was it dealing with them? Just wondering if I’m an isolated situation?
Not going well at all.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:29 AM

It's been awhile but the service was satisfactory. I didn't get overnight service, but I didn't expect it.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Call 'em and bug 'em a few times so they'll put it on the
back burner a few more months.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Default George .....

Do I detect a note of sarcasm
Rodney Dangerfield would be proud.
To the OP,give em a chance and stay positive
I have always had good luck with em
Matt
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM

I had them rebarrel and replace the bolt on a Model 22 that I had a major accident with. It was certainly not a fast turn around but I did not expect it at all. When my rifle arrived to them the laminate on the stock was damaged, may have been like that when I shipped it who knows...anyways, they fixed that at no charge to me. I was in contact with the head smith there and he explained all the issues with the rifle and what had to be done to fix it. Honestly, even though it took a long time to get my rifle back I was more then happy with the service and knew that my rifle was back to 100% working order.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:40 PM

I'm not impressed with them. I was having extraction/ejection problems with a brand new M38. I called them up and was told to send in the rifle. The extractor and ejector looked like the were made by hand with a dremel and were very loose/sloppy. I was trying to get them to send me some decent parts that they could have dropped in an envelope; but the bottom line was "send in the rifle." So I guess a $100 minimum probably cuts down on their customer service burden. I suppose they at least answered the phone.

I made the parts myself.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

I have sent several rifles back to Cooper for various user issues and found the gunsmiths to be very competent, easy to talk to and engage in discussions regarding my questions and also got a re-barrel in a reasonable length of time.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
I have sent several rifles back to Cooper for various user issues and found the gunsmiths to be very competent, easy to talk to and engage in discussions regarding my questions and also got a re-barrel in a reasonable length of time.
My experience with them also, Model 51 in 222 had stiff bolt lift when purchased. Shipped it back, had a 3 week turnaround. Shipping costs both ways was on their dime. All I spent were a few electrons in emailing them
Old 10-25-2019, 06:16 PM

I bought a used Cooper 21 in 20 VT. I was having a few little problems so I sent it in. I paid for shipping to them.

After making the repairs, the fellow in the service department called me and told me what the problems were. I only had to pay for 2 parts and shipping was on them for the return. Took about 3 weeks or so from the time they received it until I got it back. The rifle had to wait its turn in line.

As with all customer service places, you may have excellent service one time and horrible service the next.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member

Two points about the current crop of Coopers. For what is a relatively expensive factory rifle that they like to characterize as "Custom" the quality control is substandard. Not only has the wood quality dropped measurably, far too many are leaving the factory with major defects in actions, extractors, ejectors, chambers and Barrels. They should not be having problems of any kind on more than 1 gun in 10,000 at this price point.

Second point, Customer Service used to be one of Cooper's great claims to fame. They were always excellent to deal with and turned around customer guns very quickly. It was rare to hear of a gun needing to go back due to a defect. Out of dozens owned by me or close friends never had one that had any problems. The fact they are now getting so many back that the repair shop is lined up with long wait times is a good indication their QA is no where near what it was or needs to be.

Not trying to pick on Cooper but with the amount of competition there is in this price range I really think they need to pick up their game or they aren't going to last.