Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Barrel materials.

Just when I thought I had got this 20BR about taped up my riflesmith has advised that generally he finds that chromed barrells perform better than stainless ones. Not sure yet if he means in life or accuracy but have any of you found that.

He is also recommending Douglas Premium air gauged barrels, I like the look and sound of Bartelin, again anyone any thoughts. Accuracy more important than life.

Am meeting him on Wednesday for final decisions.

Thanks for your help and advice.

A
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM

Default ????

Stainless barrels, usually type 416R, are supposedly easier to machine and therefore you might get a better chambering job. Chrome-moly alloy steel barrels, usually a variant of type 4140 or 4150 steel might have slightly longer life, depending on conditions. I have never heard claims for a chrome-plated barrel, like in AK-47's or GI M-16's, being more accurate.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM

I too have been eyeing a 20Br................kinda a neat cartridge on the 473 head.

I think that the 416R stainless barrels are a bit softer than the chrome moly types, just from working with such on a lathe. Obiviously, the stainless is a bit less worry some about some things in useage. The 4140 barrel probably will have to be blued($).

I might suggest that any of the big name barrels will be a fine barrel to use. The chroming of a bore or chamber, I seem to remember that some automatic weapons went thru some growing pains because of corrosion due to moisure. I am not sure I would suggest chroming a barrel interior to one of the big makers after they spend lots of effort to get the dimensions right, but nowadays who knows?

Years ago, some barrels were electropolished to enhance the interior finish. I believe that most top line barrels today are hand lapped to their final finish.

You might check thru competition equipment lists in your particular venue for who is using what etc. I think Douglas is a fine barrel, but have not noticed any in benchrest when I shot such. Just a large selection of fine barrel makers around, large and small.

Hard to go wrong with any of today's big name top line barrels.

Rick W.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't know if it's changed any, but the top Douglas barrels were known to be a bit erratic--you might get a great one, you might not.

As much as I like Bartlein barrels, I think I'd stick with someone who has a track record for .20 cal barrels. It's a fair bit tougher to drill straight holes with the smaller calibers, so Lilja (who seems to be the master of straight small holes) would be my first choice. Krieger and Pac-Nor also have good track records. Krieger would be my pick, but then I like doing business with Cheeseheads. I've read a lot of favorable reports with Pac-Nor .20 cals on this board.

For me, your gunsmith's comments raise a few red flags. Do you have confidence in him?

robert
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 AM

He has done rifle repair and modification work. fitted some shotgun barrels and done a first class job that I cannot find fault with in the past but I have not used him for a complete assembly job before. I am pretty confident from his reputation that his work is as good as any and better than most, he is though very set in his ways having had a lifetime with a best London builder.

He is talking about chrome moly material and not chrome plated bores and yes it would be a blued finish with a stainless action. Not the best looking IMHO.

The reports I have read on Bartelin have all been very good to date hence my preference. We have seen a couple of their 20s here in the UK and they shoot in the .2s all day. Just not read anything on Douglas at all.

Rick W,

Talk to Todd Kindler, I did yesterday and learnt more in 20 minutes with him than I have in six months on the net. His prices are similar to Sinclair, he has it in stock and can make valid recommendations.

A
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Default stainless

I have a hard time using anything but stainless. I certainly don't see an advantage of going wtih CM barrels, other than looks if that is what you like. Stainless barrels are used on all BR guns that I've seen, so accuracy isn't compromised by using Stainless.

and as far as which one, well I've had such good luck with Lilja that I have a hard time not recommending them. I've never gotten a bad one, and they deliver when they say they will. I really like dealing with them, my most recent .17 cal barrel was in stock and delivered within the week. Shoots great, is easy to clean up and does everything that I'd ask for from a custom barrel.