Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Default working on a 17... trying to post a few pics of previous big bore projects

we'll see ???

hmmm... don't seem to be able to insert the picture into the thread ( do you need to be a subscribing member to host pics on this site ??? )

the link works though... this is 2 Martini tropical actions... one in poorer shape ( middle gun ) was found in a river many many years ago, along with a group of other guns ( unsubstatiated catch of guns from / for the James gang ) outside of Northfield MN... all the guns were totally rusted, & this particular Martini was completely rebuilt, & though it's a bit loose, was deemed safe for the 50-70 Gov. cartridge it's been chambered & shot in ever since...

the other Martini ( top one ) is my "safari gun" it's a tight tropical action, chambered in 45-70 on a light weight hex 458 Win Mag barrel... the charictoristics of the 458 barrel work particularly well with heavy hot 45-70 cartridges... the gun holds a custom front barrel band that also holds a 3 leaf safari sight... the front wood is custom & designed to handle the recoil & the hex barrel, it's also glass bedded... this gun is nearly completed... I need to darken the front wood to better match the stock, & regulate the 2nd & 3rd leaf ( the 1st one is currently sighted in at 50 yards )

the lever gun is also very special.. it was built on a brand new Marlin 44 mag carbine, & it's chambered & throated for 50 A. E. in heavy cast bullets... the scope is also special as it's a true zero power ( not a one power ) there were very few made, it's field of view is almost twice that of any other scope, & I can actually hit my targets easily with both eyes open... it was built as a dangerous game carbine, & holds either 12 or 13 cartridges, depending one the OAL dependant on which bullet is used

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; 08-14-2007 at 10:16 PM.