Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM

Thank you Bill, David and B23. I now know I can purchase whichever caliber CZ 527 rifle I desire for a donor rifle, being the mags are the same.
The fact that there is some stickiness sometimes in particular with the 17H, makes me suspicious that the altered angle of a 20cal Ackley hornet might prove to be troublesome.

Perhaps when MontDoug gets back from his Sunday outing in his Bozeman killing fields he can relay his personal experiences about it with his 20cal CZ 527.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:02 PM

I have CZ527 in 22 Hornet and 221FB. Both feed a bit 'sticky' but do feed. The trouble I had was they had very sharp lips of the magazines that scratched the brass. Once I took a very fine file (rifler) and deburred the mag lips, they stopped scratching the brass and smoothed out cycling a bunch.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 PM

I know you've already heard from me, but to offer a bit more detail, a friend and I rebarreled a .22 Hornet 527 to .17 AH, way before the .17 Hornet appeared. I say "we," but, I did all the work, and he watched me work on his rifle . Anyway, the original .22 Hornet magazine caused the less-tapered .17 AH rounds to nose-dive right into the back of the barrel every time. I don't remember the exact diagnosis, but they just would not feed. He bought the Calhoon magazine modified for use with the .19 Calhoon, hoping to remedy the problem. The feeding improved, as I recall, but not enough for him to be completely pleased, so he just ended up using the Calhoon single-shot follower. So, the fact it did not work is one thing, but the fact he offers a modified magazine is also an important fact.

Now, it's fully possible CZ has created a magazine that works well for both the .22 Hornet (original tapered case walls) and the .17 Hornet (much less taper and 30-degree shoulder, similar to the .19 Calhoon -- see drawing), that should also work for your .20 Hornet project. A call to CZ might answer your question, but I wouldn't mention your rebarreling project. Just say that you need to know which spare magazine you need for a .17 Hornet...and, BTW, are the magazines the same for the .22 Hornet? In any event, feeding may be a rifle-to-rifle thing, so I would be inclined to buy a .17 Hornet as a donor rifle...but that's just me.

Good luck,

TBR