Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM

To clean cores, I put 'em a glass jar with acetone and swish 'em around for a minute or two. After air drying for 10-15 minutes, they go into a boiling mixture of 3 qts water and 1/2 cup Cascade powdered dishwasing detergent per 1000 cores. Simple Green Concentrate also does a nice job cleaning cores. After boiling for 10 minutes, they're rinsed in a collander under hot water and laid on a big towel to dry or dry outside in the sun if it's a warm day.

I feel it's important to not have the cores directly in contact with the bottom of the 'pot', so I use this folding leaf collander gizmo from a cooking store. It has several stand offs on the bottom to let the water circulate under the cores:

I'm not a fan of heavy etching of the cores...just get 'em clean. I favor the maximum contact possible between the wall of the jacket and the o.d. of the core.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
To clean cores, I put 'em a glass jar with acetone and swish 'em around for a minute or two. After air drying for 10-15 minutes, they go into a boiling mixture of 3 qts water and 1/2 cup Cascade powdered dishwasing detergent per 1000 cores. Simple Green Concentrate also does a nice job cleaning cores. After boiling for 10 minutes, they're rinsed in a collander under hot water and laid on a big towel to dry or dry outside in the sun if it's a warm day.

I feel it's important to not have the cores directly in contact with the bottom of the 'pot', so I use this folding leaf collander gizmo from a cooking store. It has several stand offs on the bottom to let the water circulate under the cores:

I'm not a fan of heavy etching of the cores...just get 'em clean. I favor the maximum contact possible between the wall of the jacket and the o.d. of the core.
Al, I've looked just about everywhere for one of those but haven't been able to find one..........where did you get yours?......Kiwi
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM

FYI, in the States, they can be found at fancy cooking stores, like Williams Sonoma. They probably do mail order, since it shouldn't be an export control item.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...oMerchRules-_-
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Kiwi I am unsure where you are located but I actually just saw one of these today at my local grocery store.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
Kiwi I am unsure where you are located but I actually just saw one of these today at my local grocery store.
Utah Shooter, I'm in Dunedin about 3/4 of the way down the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand..........where is your local grocery store?

Tinman thanks just bought one of them, NZ$19.50 shipping by DHL to New Zealand..........Kiwi
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Kiwi
The funnel collander I use gets the job with no fuss or muss. Found mine in a used store. I like mine better and I have a handle on mine. My collander is probably a 2qt model.

Stephen Perry