Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Default subsonic swaged bullets

I'm interested in producing some bullets for subsonic use.

i was thinking something like this:

http://www.corbins.com/subsonic.htm

Anyone hear have any experience with something similar?

I'm a swage noob looking to avoid driving into the potholes.

308 and 510 bullets are my intentions

I appreciate any input

Last edited by ohnomrbillk; 05-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

interesting link but not totally true, I was involved with a subsonic project with the army. the problem with what they are saying is the Geneva convention doesn't allow soft point or open tip bullets so be wary of whats said in advertising. what are you looking to do with these maybe I can give you some help...... george
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM

I'm interested in a bullet that will stabilize in my barrel and also expand at subsonic velocities for hunting purposes.

Heaviest weight bullet that will stabilize is worth pursuing (at least in my mind). With the muzzle velocities of 1050 fps being a relative constant, only bullet diameter and bullet weight can be increased to offer more knockdown power.

Rate of twists are both 1 in 8". The 30 caliber will stabilize a 240 Sierra Match King with a Muzzle velocity of 1050fps. The 510 will stabilize any BMG projectile, Hornady Amax, etc at the same muzzle velocity of 1050 fps.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

if my memory is correct army used a 1-10 but only with 1.00 jkt. I made around a 145 gr. it was interesting parameters were subsonic 1-10 twist shot only out to 100 yds. into ballistic gelatin block, could not shed jacket or core and could not go through block. george
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Well, O.K. Thought of "no jacket???"

Your stated velocity limit, approx. 1050 takes us back to the days of black powder when the relatively pure lead bullet, lubed, was plenty. They mushroom nicely as a rule. Very little barrel wear. You can add a hollow point too to "help things along." Corbin has written about the target bullets of the late 1800's. Made in "pound dies." The two sections of die came together with a slug of lead inside and you formed the bullet by pounding on them with a mallet. No idea if he would do a set for you today.

The other suggestion that has been around since the 1950s I know of, the zinc ringed base bullet. Currently the province of Mr. Hawk, Hawk bullets, under the title "Swage-it." .30 is in the list. Over .50 would have to be custom. Reportedly, going back to the '50's, all handgun velocities were doable including the magnums of the '50's, .44 and .357.

The pressures of firing forces zinc metal to coat the bore and after that, lead will not stick to zinc. I suspect that a couple jacketed bullets would ruin things, but stick to zinc ring base or lubed lead bullets and go, go, go.

At this "low performance level," all the fancy pointed bullet designs are not too useful. Just any old round nose or wadcutter shape. These flatten good. And a hollow point is pure gravy. Luck. Happy Trails.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Supporting Member

you are right on nose design a lower ogive would be prefer, you have to drive the more pointier bullets harder to gain any performance. george
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM

I've been considering just using a pure lead swaged projectile with powder coating. I've read some good results on castboolits forum using powder coated projectiles. It's just those guys are mainly looking for something to run in a semi-auto pistol.

I'd go for an eliptical ogive and a long boat tail to retain the most energy. Small hollow point would be good for mounting on a piece of wire while powder coating to fully enclose the base.