Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Nice groups and a very nice rifle, Rover. I never thought that the AR platform would mature into such an accurate system. While the M16 accuracy was very good in the day with a new rifle , what they shoot today far surpasses those marks by far. AR10 platforms seem to be increasing with popularity and with groups like this it is no wonder.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
It all depends upon how you define accuracy. If it is 1" then easy and not as expensive ($1500-$2000). If you want sub 0.5" then more expensive ($2500). But, if you want 0.25" then +$3k. All of above is just price of rifle, and doesn't include the optics or mount. If you want a very accurate AR10 then it will cost you.

Other than needing capability of rapid follow-up shots or just because you want one, a bolt gun is typically more accurate than an AR, because bolt gun has tighter tolerances and less moving parts.

You can build a custom rifle for same price as AR10...or visa versa.

Bolt Gun AR10 (1") AR10 (<.05")
Receiver $1250 $350 $550
Bolt Carrier - $125 $300
Hand Rail - $200 $400
Barrel $450 $400 $900
Gas Block & Tube - $70 $140
Trigger $250 $125 $200
Control Group - $75 $150
Stock $750 $50 $150
Buffer Tube Ass - $75 $175
Gunsmith $500 $0 $0

Dang, Oso......... You need to find you some new parts vendors. At least it looks like you're building your own AR's from the gunsmithing costs.

And in following your posts, I'm glad to see that you have found some places that furnish "hog hunting and high volume coyotes" nearby. I remember that just last year you were looking really hard......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 PM

On the Premium AR builds I spare no expense. The estimated prices that I referenced were top-end. I assumed best parts and all bells/whistles starting with a matched billet receiver set and rail, premium ambidextrous controls, Geissele match trigger. Bolt carrier group can range from $175 to $400.

A high-end drop in AR barrel, such as JPEnterprise, will cost ($400-$500). Sometimes you get lucky and it is .25' gun, but more like .5" gun. However, if you are wanting competition performance then buy a premium barrel blank like Kreiger, Bartlein, etc ($450 barrel) then add BAT barrel extension ($75), and have gunsmith chamber, match bolt face to barrel, thread and cut... $800-$900 all in. Adjustable gas block (SLR Rifleworks $120) is a necessity to dial in recoil/performance and don't forget your muzzle break or suppressor QD mount ($100).

Some people want the ultra adjustable rear stock ($150 - $300) and others are happy with Magpul CTR for $60. JP Enterprise silent capture spring ($180) or typical buffer/spring setup ($65).

At the end of the day you won't ever build a gun cheaper than what cost to buy equivalent performance factory built rifle, bolt gun or AR. Building a custom gun will cost as much or more...but you will get exactly what you want.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-28-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:01 PM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

There is a (relatively local, about 2 hours drive away) small AR manufacturing company, a spin off of a larger metal fabrication & machine shop business who have made a LOT of AR parts for other companies and decided to start putting out their own rifles.

APF in Alexandria MN.

https://www.apfarmory.com/6-5-creedmoor-hunter/

And! lo & behold, I just snagged the last 22" barrel 6.5 CM APF "Hunter" model available from Brownell's on sale for Labor Day. Used a free shipping & $35 off coupon code I found on the net, which helped a bit too. All in, $1,156.00 plus $20 for the BATF transfer to the rather obliging hunt club 2 miles down the road from our business location.

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=100-027-679+6.5+CREEDMOOR+HUNTER+22"+20%2b1&ksubmit=y

My first AR direct impingement rifle. No, it's probably not a "Cadillac" (let alone a Ferrari!). But if it F's up, I can DRIVE over to the manufacturer with the pieces... And what reviews there are out there for the companies "Hunter" and "Target" lines of AR10 variants sound positive. ER Shaw make their barrels, FWIW.

I will report more after the new toy arrives. Now, about that scope...

Last edited by bert2368; 08-28-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
Although not a 6.5, consistent accuracy out of a semi auto for your price range is easily doable.
I reload 22 Nosler for 2 uppers, a Ballistic Advantage 8 twist barrel for heavier bullets and a WOA 12 twist for lighter bullets. The last picture is the BA barrel set up for evening varmint duty.
All 5 shot groups at 100 yards
Your AR is every bit as accurate with those 40gr loads as my CZ527 American in .221 FB is- and hella faster. I am officially impressed.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
Although not a 6.5, consistent accuracy out of a semi auto for your price range is easily doable.
I reload 22 Nosler for 2 uppers, a Ballistic Advantage 8 twist barrel for heavier bullets and a WOA 12 twist for lighter bullets. The last picture is the BA barrel set up for evening varmint duty.
All 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Rover,
What kind of velocities are you seeing shooting the 4o vmax out of your 22 Nosler and what length barrel are you running for that particular set up?
WOA is just down the street from me, I have several 20TAC barrels from them that are phenomenal shooters
Old 08-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho83 View Post
Rover,
What kind of velocities are you seeing shooting the 4o vmax out of your 22 Nosler and what length barrel are you running for that particular set up?
WOA is just down the street from me, I have several 20TAC barrels from them that are phenomenal shooters
I'm getting right at 3875 fps for the 40gr. running a 24" barrel.

I have some 35gr NTX bullets that I'm playing with now. Couldn't get the accuracy I wanted with 8208 xbr so I'm going to try Benchmark.

The interesting thing I am finding with the lighter bullets in my 1-12 twist barrel is that it takes very little powder change to make big difference in accuracy. It's a lot like loading for .17 HH.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
My first AR direct impingement rifle. No, it's probably not a "Cadillac" (let alone a Ferrari!). But if it F's up, I can DRIVE over to the manufacturer with the pieces... And what reviews there are out there for the companies "Hunter" and "Target" lines of AR10 variants sound positive. ER Shaw make their barrels, FWIW.

I will report more after the new toy arrives. Now, about that scope...
Congratulations - welcome to playing with adult Legos. Once you build the first AR you'll be surprised how it multiplies. Labor Day Sales great time to pick up parts. Money worth spending:
1. Geissele Trigger SSAE $180 on sale ($240 reg)
2. Adjustable gas block by SLR Rifleworks $100

Optional "Safety" Equipment:
1. Enhanced Bolt Catch Devise - Magpul BAD Lever or Phase 5 Tactical
- enable user to lock open bolt with trigger finger and avoid having to swap hands on rifle running risk of dropping or accidental misfire.
2. Extended Charging handle such as Vltor BCM Mod 4
-allows you to rack bolt with a finger. Don't bother with the extensions on both side (unless left handed) because it will just snag on everything. Don't get one with the massively long extensions because it will also snag on everything.

You just need to confirm part compatibility between AR10 and AR15

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-28-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 PM

Read several postings on re forming 7.62 NATO/.308 Win to 6.5 Creedmoor. Apparently, these cases necks will need to be thinned, something I have avoided needing to learn how to do so far.

What is a recommended "entry level" set of equipment for this job? Just an effective suite of tools, does not need to be what a world beating F class competitor would choose. Budget IS a consideration, sadly.

Last edited by bert2368; 09-01-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:07 AM

If you have a Rockchucker or similar single stage press then you are well on your way. There are some YouTube videos and below are a couple of articles.

I found a nice thread detailing one guys process for going 243 to 6.5 Creedmoor. He's sizing up, but good photos and similar process in needing to bump back the shoulder.

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=487.0

Here is a write-up on one guy's process, and he uses a 7mm-08 as interim step to 6.5 Creedmoor.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr....215469/page-2

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-01-2019 at 02:10 AM.