Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-03-2019, 06:14 AM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
If you have a Rockchucker or similar single stage press then you are well on your way. There are some YouTube videos and below are a couple of articles.

I found a nice thread detailing one guys process for going 243 to 6.5 Creedmoor. He's sizing up, but good photos and similar process in needing to bump back the shoulder.

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=487.0

Here is a write-up on one guy's process, and he uses a 7mm-08 as interim step to 6.5 Creedmoor.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr....215469/page-2
Indeed, I have 3 different single stage presses, two are rated by mfg. as capable of sizing for 50 BMG.

I checked out the video and several links to those forming their own 6.5CM brass from .243 Win. And as we have a .243 rifle, I have about 160 1X fired, cleaned & deprimed .243 brass to hand!

Will report more on THIS project as well, as it may develop.

I also note that S&B makes 6.5CM 140gr FMJ ammunition, offered from several suppliers in USA for about 59 cents per round (delivery included) in 500 round quantities.

http://www.unammo.com/#1268

I am tempted to A: buy some, use it to break in the barrel + experiment with accuracy- and, if accurate? B: further experiment by pulling the Czech FMJ bullet it ships with, replacing this with something from my stock of 6.5mm projectiles that expands.

Last edited by bert2368; 09-03-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
I also note that S&B makes 6.5CM 140gr FMJ ammunition, offered from several suppliers in USA for about 59 cents per round (delivery included) in 500 round quantities.

http://www.unammo.com/#1268

I am tempted to A: buy some, use it to break in the barrel + experiment with accuracy- and, if accurate? B: further experiment by pulling the Czech FMJ bullet it ships with, replacing this with something from my stock of 6.5mm projectiles that expands.
My experience with S&B is mixed. Its fine for Minute of Man in AR15. You may want to do a search (Google It) to see about how others feel about S&B brass cases for accuracy.

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...dmoor.6871390/

500 rounds is a lot of large caliber ammo if it isn't good ammo, especially if you are thinking about pulling bullets. It might be slightly more expensive, but buying good quality brass at reasonable price (Federal, Hornady, Starline) might be worth the effort. Federal is also running some rebates on their ammo, which might get you close to S&B price.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:22 PM

I have had good results accuracy wise AND with reloading the brass from S&B .22 Hornet 45gr FMJ and 300 BO 200gr FMJ subsonic. My usual gun shop staff (Wolf's Den, Hugo MN) reports that the S&B 6.5CM
is sub MOA from their own BOLT guns. Perhaps best start with 1 box in an AR though, I must agree.

I've never tried the S&B 5.56/.223.

Last edited by bert2368; 09-03-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
I have had good results accuracy wise AND with reloading the brass from S&B .22 Hornet 45gr FMJ and 300 BO 200gr FMJ subsonic. My usual gun shop staff (Wolf's Den, Hugo MN) reports that the S&B 6.5cm is sub MOA from their own BOLT guns. Perhaps best start with 1 box in an AR though, I must agree.

I've never tried the S&B 5.56/.223.
I would buy 1 or 2 boxes to test shoot as well as pull bullets. If the ammo is military grade then S&B may have sealed the bullets into the cases, which will make pulling bullets to replace with better bullet a No Go... also the primers might be crimped/pinned. If either of these is the case then will be easier to buy virgin brass cases to load from scratch.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:08 AM

Found this statement in a post on Long Range Hunting forum:

Simplest way to make Creed brass from something else is 22/250.*
I load it with 18 gr Unique , 1 cc of corn cob media and a twist of tp in the neck. Chamber and fire. Instant 6.5 Creedmoor brass that Never needs trimming.

(No doubt he is doing that in a bolt gun, not going to try it in a gas operated rifle... Corn cob bits jammed in the gas tube?!)

Virtually every post by experienced people says: Just buy the correct brass, don't waste your time.

OK, I give in.

Last edited by bert2368; 09-04-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:46 PM

New toy arrived.

6.5 Creedmoor 22" barrel AR10 "hunter" variant, made by APO in Alexandria MN.

(Relatively) inexpensive Sightmark "Lattitude" PRS scope: Mil-mil, first focal pane "Xmas tree" reticle, 34mm tube 6.5 - 25 x 56.

DNZ one piece mount/rings with a level built into the rear ring. I do like DNZ one piece sets, this is the 4th rifle I've set up with their products.

A UTG bipod (a brand of bipod best known for use by PAINT BALL or AIRSOFT players...) Because Tip Top seems to be out of the game? And I wanted to get going. Probably replace that sooner rather than later.

NOT a one handed proposition, weighs nearly 12 lb. unloaded as set up with rings, scope & bipod

Got half way through barrel break in yesterday, before mirage set in and it got too windy I did manage some 1" groups at 100 and sub 2" at 200 yards with the Hornady cheapo "Black" ammo. Will go back out and try again shortly, heavy overcast and calm here this am.

Pictures when I figure out how to do that from an Android phone-

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions up thread. Yes, indeed, chasing the brass can suck. I eventually hung a towel at my 4:00 3' away and quit chasing them.

It DOES NOT mangle the brass, oh joy! While searching the weeds for some of my brass, I found a handful of 8mm Mauser brass my friend ran out of his Hakim last week. Talk about a brass eating monster...

Last edited by bert2368; 09-15-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Default A few pictures

Figured out your upload & posting process, I think.

All groups were shot with Hornady "Black" 140gr OTM ammunition, less than $20/box, occasionally on sale for $15 or so. Good enough for barrel break in, shoots better than I do.

Got 60 rounds through the rifle now, a little past halfway through the 100 round break in procedure given in rifle manual.

I did try 10 rounds at 300 yards, using the highest scope magnification. I ran into difficulties with mirage & variable cross winds.

I have a lot to learn about longer range shooting in general, especially dealing with mirage. The "manual of arms" and reloading processes I've got some clue about...

http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture...pictureid=1509

http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture...pictureid=1510

http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture...pictureid=1512

http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture...pictureid=1513

Last edited by bert2368; 09-16-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Very nice looking outfit Bert. And it looks like it will be a shooter. Bill K
Old 09-17-2019, 01:18 AM

Default One last tweak, then back to the 300 yard line...

Because at $70 for a black & pink Luth MBA-1 from "Cheaper than yo Momma" on line, I saved about $40 over just buying the two upgrade packs for adjustable black LOP and cheek piece from Luth. PLUS I can be a good guy and give "herself" a pink Luth MBA-2 AR stock for Xmas.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:21 AM

Bert,

Do you have an adjustable gas block in the new toy?