Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
I guess tis why I stated what I did. I tried to put some context with my comments rather than rah-rah it across the board. Every thing has its limitations. I read every day about folks buying economical scopes and then complaining about their performance in the long haul.

buy quality, sometimes you get it. Buy cheap....everyone has a new rope somewhere or other.......not much other outcome.

So in my environment, yeah, the foreign scope is not the ritz; but does the job I wanted and I tried to describe that in some detail. Won't happen again.
rick w,
Thank you for your review. Do you think the plastic parts on the eyepiece will become a problem?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM

218bee,

One of my four scopes(bought in the same month approx) had a small rubber ring come off the eyepiece area. I just put it back on. Others are as delivered.

Other than that, guess we are all in the same boat.

I really enjoy the 14x on a 22lr, can see what is going on, and I am no good on the running game anymore.....

Durability is a relative thing, some folks have the knack for tearing stuff up, some stuff is just built cheaply.............life goes on with that scope or another. We all still have basic responsibilities. My scopes are on low recoiling rifles, might try a mild deer cartridge, but certainly not a biggie where the fixed big dollar tubes fail. I certainly would not expect long term durability/repeatability with the economical scopes we all see day to day, they serve a niche need for particular buyer's abilities/needs.............a great thing huh?

At the time, I just could not find 14x that would do 25yds for rimfire in the same money league. Have not looked diligently for a while, but suspect will be ordering more of these scopes for other 22's here fwiw. Other folks may have harder luck, who knows.?

rick w.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
218bee,

One of my four scopes(bought in the same month approx) had a small rubber ring come off the eyepiece area. I just put it back on. Others are as delivered.

Other than that, guess we are all in the same boat.

I really enjoy the 14x on a 22lr, can see what is going on, and I am no good on the running game anymore.....

Durability is a relative thing, some folks have the knack for tearing stuff up, some stuff is just built cheaply.............life goes on with that scope or another. We all still have basic responsibilities. My scopes are on low recoiling rifles, might try a mild deer cartridge, but certainly not a biggie where the fixed big dollar tubes fail. I certainly would not expect long term durability/repeatability with the economical scopes we all see day to day, they serve a niche need for particular buyer's abilities/needs.............a great thing huh?

At the time, I just could not find 14x that would do 25yds for rimfire in the same money league. Have not looked diligently for a while, but suspect will be ordering more of these scopes for other 22's here fwiw. Other folks may have harder luck, who knows.?

rick w.
I guess I am kicking around the idea of the most bang for my buck. I can currently get the Timberline 4.5-14x32 or the Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 for close to the same money. Just wondering if I would be happier with one over the other.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM

I have looked a little over the fence at the one you mentioned as well as some of the Bushnell 4x12'slines. No help there. In my case, the 25yd ability was the bottom line. I keep thinking that Vortex might enter the 22lr market with some zip.

With that in mind, Leupold used to adjust parallax to rimfire standards for a nominal fee............not sure today though, but could be a way to a nice EFR scope. Again, the 50 foot adapter might be still around, and work great.

Do your homework the best you can............pays your money and takes your chances; tis called experience.

Perhaps some research like on Rimfirecentral?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the Leupold 50 ft adapters only fit on their 40mm objectives with AO. I have/had two on 22rf rifles for Silhouette shooting back in the day. They worked quite well.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 PM

The Tinman knows..........wonder why only in 40mm?.........maybe the newer focus/parallax systems? Probably like a lot of good stuff, hard to find.

One of my adapters is on an old Leupold 12x(40mm) on a Anschutz 1808EDS.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 PM

I have only seen them in 40mm. Those old Vari-X IIIs and IIs do have a larger number on the marked on lower focal length range. The Leupold AO EFR-marked scopes go down the 33ft range. Maybe the larger diameter objective scope have a broader AO range, but I don't know for sure. I would have to go dig one out of the safe to be sure.

Oh yes, and I think the non-AO Leupolds had a different objective thread diameter, so the 50ft adapter won't fit on them. That lesson taught me to never buy another non-AO scope of any brand.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Supporting Member

If I was in that top 3 or 5% pay grade every weapon I have would have the best scope known to man on it, but I ain't . I have one a these scopes and if I were buying more rimfires I'd probably be buying more of em. I agree with others that mentioned the subtended hash marks lend themselves very well to Rim-Fires, every rimfire I own has a scope with at a minimum elevation hash marks.
I have a Ruger 10-22 in their top line sport model with no fore end band. I sent it to Clark's Custom Guns down in Louisiana, man can that sucker shoot. I always shot Federal Hi-Power .22 LR HP's. Came into the local Sporting good store one time (before HMR's), they were out of Federal's but there was a rep standing there and one a the things he rep'd was Federal ammo. He said get that American Eagle, it "is" Federal Hi-Power. 38 grain HP, F on the bottom same ammo. He said Winchester had come out with Wildcat value priced ammo Remington came out with Thunderbolt I think? Federal decided it'd be cheaper to repackage their Hi-Power ammo then them make a whole new line.
That went along great for a long time till PotatoHead got elected Pres and up here at least .22 shells disappeared for a while. (I'm going somewhere on topic really ). American Eagle .22 LR came back but with a 36 grain bullet and for sure different then the old Hi-Power stuff. I'd just gotten one of those Burris scopes and after a bit of "musical scopes", it ended up on that Ruger 10-22. I haden't shot a .22 for a long time but I decided to test that new ammo with the new scope. Went to the range, perfect conditions! I hadn't sighted any a this in together so I aimed center bull at 50 yards and let fly.

I finished sighting it in but this three shop group is the only one I took a pic of. It's now fully sighted in, the subtended line have been figured out as to where each one is aiming so no more then I shoot that .22 why would I spend Leupold money on a scope for that rifle. Long windy way of saying I like that scope real well. An inferior piece of glass is not gonna shoot that kinda group even on a .22. I think I paid a buck eighty-nine back when I bought mine. I like it.
As to fitting the 38, I don't have a clue? Tomorrow I'd call Burris and Cooper and see what both of them had to say? Then let us know .
Old 09-17-2019, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

I have no clue concerning the quality of this scope, but I saw this at CDNN and thought someone might be interested since RF scopes are the topic.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-...ire-scope.html

-BCB

Edit: For those not familiar with CDNN, they buy bankruptcy stuff, going gout of business stuff, and similar things at deeply reduced prices and carry the savings on. Lots of things to look at on their web site.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-17-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edit added....................
Old 09-21-2019, 03:00 AM
Supporting Member

CDNN is an outstanding place to check in on regularly. Dan C. called me in about the spring of 2005 and said that CDNN had the Anschutz Model 6417LP HMR on sale for $299.00. Not sure what they retailed for but it was a heck of a lot more then that. Anschutz only made them in 2003 and 2004, really a hoot on rodents.

One of the better buys I've ever made. Later as I was keeping an eye on the place they had Eley .17M2 ammo on sale by the case for $2.99 a box, I bought a bunch of it. Great place to know about.

"QUOTE"

"Edit: For those not familiar with CDNN, they buy bankruptcy stuff, going gout of business stuff, and similar things at deeply reduced prices and carry the savings on. Lots of things to look at on their web site."

"QUOTE"

I always wondered how I got those prices, now I know.
Sorry for the Hi-Jack.