Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-16-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Is their an issue with single loading a CZ 527 ?

I read on another website where a guy was planning on having a 20 Vartarg built out of a CZ 527 action, and he planned on using it as a single shot. However, somebody else replied "If you want single shot the 527, it may not be right due to CRF. If you do go with the 527 they will mag feed. " And somebody else further recommended to buy a "Bobs Original Sled" for this function. (which I was previously unfamiliar with until I googled it)

Why use a special "sled"? Can't I individually feed my handloads by hand right into the CZ barrel like I do with my 20Tac right into my Rem 700 barrel barrel bore? While I don't intend to build a Vartarg, I might want to go with the Hornet. Is their something I am not taking into consideration or seeing that would make hand feeding a CZ 527 difficult with a Hornet round?

BTW, what is "CRF" ? (geeez....gotta love the texting generation, as if spelling it out would have taken so much more time. lol)

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 AM

The CZ can be single loaded just fine. The extractor pops over the rim.

CRF means controlled round feed.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 AM

I agree with orkan's response. I have two CZ527s, a 221FB and a 22 Hornet and both single feed just fine. The CZ's have a beveled front edge of their extractor, and that allows them to bend over the rim. Some older style-Mauser actions with CRF (especially some military actions) have a non-beveled front edge of their extractors 90° and won't single feed well.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 AM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

I have single fed several CZ 527 rifle models, they all worked. Have seen the George Calhoun single loading blocks which replace the magazine, have not needed one yet.

I have a single feed "sled" which goes on top of magazine follower for a Yugo M48A rifle though, a former owner got it so he could load it with cast bullets and not shave lead/affect accuracy- or have to fight with getting the extractor over the case head.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...9&d=1553032093

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post4608285
Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM

That looks like a Score High Bench Rest Follower, or at least a copy of it. They are aluminum, and have a couple of them (M70, M700 and SAKO) on my bench rifles that I shoot a lot as single shots.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Supporting Member

Hey CF, me again. As I indicated in my PM, I don't think that there would be a significant problem single loading the CZ, I have done it in a 7.62 X 39 but that brass is stout compared to the Hornet. I am just guessing, but suspect that the "sled" positions the cartridge low enough so that the CRF feature works with it as designed. This might be worth doing with a Hornet since the brass is mechanically a bit on the weak side, or you could have it K'd, or you could do what I'm in the process of doing and have it converted to a 22 Garin or 5.7 Johnson/22 Spitfire. If you are going to do anything to the CZ that requires barrel work, one option is as good as another.
Also, just for those who might not know, you can get formed, ready to load 5.7 Johnson brass from Reed's Ammunition & Research which is made from basic (30 M1 Carbine) brass that Graf & Son had made. I'm headed in this direction because I have experienced so many headspace issues with Hornet/K-Hornet over the years. Problems weren't horrible, just a nuisance and I don't expect to have those problems with the new cartridge.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Yes, you can simply lay a round into the load port on top of an empty magazine inserted in the rifle or you can directly feed the ammunition into the chamber.
The Extractor will pop over the rim with a little effort. This may eventually lead to an issue, but I haven't seen anyone have one yet.

The two popular single shot adapter blocks (dummy magazines) for the CZ 527 is either the Bob Sled or Calhoun Adapter.

I bought the Calhoun Single Shot adapter block, which is contoured so that as bolt is advanced it picks up the loose round with the rim automatically sliding behind the extractor claw the same way it would as if it were loading directly out of a magazine. I find using the adapter block more convenient to toss a round in the load port without any concerns. It lives in my gun so I never get to the range and realize I left my magazine at home.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:02 PM

In the past CZ warned against forcing the extractor over the rim of a case in the 527s. They have changed that recommendation, saying it is OK now. I have the Calhoon adapters in four CZ 527s, two 22 Hornets and two 223 Remingtons. The rounds feed noticeably smoother with the adapters, this may help brass last longer, also soothe some nerves. Happy shooting with a CZ!
Bill
Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
In the past CZ warned against forcing the extractor over the rim of a case in the 527s. They have changed that recommendation, saying it is OK now. I have the Calhoon adapters in four CZ 527s, two 22 Hornets and two 223 Remingtons. The rounds feed noticeably smoother with the adapters, this may help brass last longer, also soothe some nerves. Happy shooting with a CZ!
Bill
Spot on. Adaptors from Calhoun works great in 22 H and 17 HH. Also, dropping the round onto an empty mag is better than feeding the round into the chamber and then closing the bolt. The second way works too it is just the dropped on mag feeds easier and smoother.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM

My 223 bolt face CZ are an easy single feed rifles. However, my PPC bolt face rifles greatly prefer to be magazine fed.