Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default Another weak moment today..........

I've looked at these for several years and finally "pulled the trigger" today.

Its a Magnum Research MagnumLite RF rifle in 22 WMR. It comes with an 18" stainless and composite barrel, an integral Weaver style rail for scope mounting, and a Hogue Overmolded stock. It also came with the scope rings seen on the rifle and its packaged in the molded hard case

Awhile back I had bought a Bushnell Engage 4x12 rifle scope and I like it a lot. So..... I bought another one to go on this rifle. I'm heading to the range tomorrow morning.

One thing kinda' unique about the rifle is that it has a bleeder hole in the barrel under the stock that bleeds off any over-pressure from the 22 WMR cartridge into a bleeder block. The rifle is designed to shoot only 40 grain or heavier bullets, and everything I've seen and heard is that they are a very accurate rifle with an excellent trigger. I'll know more tomorrow.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-14-2018, 01:34 AM

And you can even buy ammo for it now!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 AM

Hey Hal,
Be sure to keep us abreast of how she functions and shoots.
I look forward to a glowing report. I've been tempted by one of those in the past, but never pulled the trigger myself.

That otta be heck on Jack Bunnies.........

Sweet rifle!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:55 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Hey Hal,
Be sure to keep us abreast of how she functions and shoots.
I look forward to a glowing report. I've been tempted by one of those in the past, but never pulled the trigger myself.

That otta be heck on Jack Bunnies.........

Sweet rifle!
Austin, you are spot on as to potential targets. West Texas jacks were a prime motivator in my "trigger pulling" today.

I've shot them in the past with various 22 WMR rifles including a Marlin and a CZ semi-auto, but the weight and the supposed accuracy of these rifles has intrigued me. The rifle comes up very easily and I would be totally surprised if it wasn't as accurate as all heck.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Supporting Member

Default 22 Mag 'returning'?...

I love the 17HMR on ground squirrels and have shot enough of it to result in covering the floor of a few rental 4WD Suburban vehicles with empty fired casings. However I purchased a Ruger American bolt rifle not too long ago in 22 Mag. It has a slightly heavier barrel threaded at the muzzle that my licensed suppressor fits nicely. I wanted to see just what is possible going 22 Mag suppressed what with the new subsonic ammo that has come out, and of course try all the 22 Mag ammo I've accumulated over the years.
All this to say the 22 mag is showing that it is still alive and well! The ammo companies have not abandoned us either and in recent years produced some interesting high quality ammo. My Ruger was purchased with the idea of suburban coyote killing but no opportunity has come up yet.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 04-14-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Bummer.......... it rained cats and dogs all night and now it has reduced down to kitttens and puppies, and its supposed to continue most of the day. Tomorrow is already "used up", so it may be Monday before I get to play with this new toy.

I have one of those same Ruger Americans 22 WMR bolt guns also, Alan, and it shoots very well. I've had it for several years and it is slick to carry with its compact size. I did not need this MR rifle, but they have been gnawing on my conscience for awhile.

One thing about living where I do, 22 MWR ammo was available, granted in limited options and quantities at times, throughout the entire drought period of a few years back. Hopefully this rifle will like all 40 grain+ stuff in case it happens again.

-BCB

Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 PM

BCB, I have often wondered about that Magnum Research rifle myself. I only have one 22WMR, a CZ452 and it does great with ammo it likes. I found it was helpful to measure the head to ogive distance on a variety of WMR ammo, just like measuring the seating depth a CF round. After shooting those rounds for groups, the rifle quickly selected which ammo it liked better.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Supporting Member

Default ....and....

Many years ago I decided the 'too expensive' 22 Magnum would still be fun to play with so I bought a Marlin 782 bolt clip magazine rifle for about a hundred bucks. I rationalized that I could take it to the range WITH other 22 rimfires, and just not go crazy burning up ammo,.. thinking of it as though it was a centerfire that I also would not blow through expensive ammo if I had one with me.
I remember only three commonly available ammo brands, 4 if I could find RWS fodder. Federal, Winchester, and CCI. Winchester was most accurate grouping an average of 1.5" @ 10 yards, with the other two a bit less accurate. I enjoyed it although I only used it at the range as coyotes were not established in our area at the time like they are now.
I've shot way more 17 HMR rifles (because of trips to Montana) but the 22 Magnum still interests me, and that's the excuse I used for buying the Ruger American!
I am playing with the new Winchester subsonic 45 grain ammo, and wondering why they didn't load it with a 50 or 60 grain bullet. Possibly rifling twist too slow?

Last edited by Alan in GA; 04-15-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:57 AM

I've been messing around with an RAR Stainless in .22WMR since about November. Since your rifle is set up for 40gr. bullets, I'd suggest trying some CCI Gamepoints in it. They are almost as good as the Hornady 30gr. VMax in my rifle, which really doesn't seem to like anything over 30gr. much. The Gamepoints are shooting fairly well, at least, for a WMR.
I'm not a real fan of the WMR so far, it's getting a bit better nowadays.
There are a lot of different loads out there these days, but I'm still a bit disappointed in the accuracy I'm getting.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennlasher View Post
I've been messing around with an RAR Stainless in .22WMR since about November. Since your rifle is set up for 40gr. bullets, I'd suggest trying some CCI Gamepoints in it. They are almost as good as the Hornady 30gr. VMax in my rifle, which really doesn't seem to like anything over 30gr. much. The Gamepoints are shooting fairly well, at least, for a WMR.
I'm not a real fan of the WMR so far, it's getting a bit better nowadays.
There are a lot of different loads out there these days, but I'm still a bit disappointed in the accuracy I'm getting.
I was told by the gun store guy who sold the MR rifle to me (someone who I've known for years) that the very quick and steep pressure spike for the less than 40 grain 22 WMR loads would blow the mag out the bottom of the rifle. Hence nothing less than 40 grain+ bullets should be used. In addition, the scope rail had an orange "Caution" sticker on it saying 40+ grain bullets only, and same same with the Owner's Manual.

The shop had several choices in ammo, but the one he recommended was the Hornady Critical Defense ammo with the 45 grain FTX bullet. He said this CCi ammo at the link below was also a good choice per Magnum Research.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...ampaign=Itwine

I bought the Hornady to try first off. Its designed for short barrel revolvers (1000 fps in a 1 7/8" barrel) but he said I should get ~1700 FPS from it in the MR rifle with great terminal performance. I also have some of the CCI 40 grain Game Point stuff on hand so I will try it too.

As I mentioned in my first post, there is a bleeder hole in the barrel to supposedly handle pressure spikes from 40+ grain bullets and to help cycle the action. I have an older Marlin semi-auto and a CZ semi-auto in 22 WMR and neither have any bullet restrictions attached to them. But many Marlin semi-auto 22 WMR owners say that if you have a Marlin that hasn't blown a cartridge up that you just haven't shot it enough.......... I guess I've been lucky over the years. The CZ is fairly new, but it has a terrible trigger in it. Its manageable but it takes getting used to.

Some Magnum Research internet information at the link below with good pictures. I bought the rifle because everyone who has one seems to love it, including the sales guy I mentioned above. Time will tell. :

https://ontargetmagazine.com/2015/05...-22-wmr-rifle/

My RAR 22 WMR bolt action rifle shoots the CCI Game points very well.

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-15-2018 at 05:17 AM.