Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Hal, how do you like your CZ compared to your other 22 mag auto loaders? I like mine for what I do with it, dependable, accurate enough and lightweight but there is something about it. Maybe it’s the plastic parts (that prevented me from buying it sooner).

I hope this brings back a good selection of 22 mag ammo in heavier weight bullets.I have a 22 mag pistol that has the same warning on it, luckily I have some on hand.

Looking forward to some more reports on your new rifle!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default Semi auto rimfires.....

I already have a 10/22 bedded to the factory walnut sporter stock, fitted with a Shilen Match grade 22LR bull barrel, threaded for my TAC 65 suppressor. I wanted to go bolt rifle for a suppressed 22 Mag and now it's been reported about heavy bullets only I'm glad even more I went w/ a bolt gun. The Ruger is very affordable too which probably helped sway my decision, too!
Never too old to enjoy rimfires!
Also, I had accumulated several dozen boxes / brands of 22 mag ammo, so I HAD to buy one, right?! (I had sold off what 22 magnums I had).

Last edited by Alan in GA; 04-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Hal, how do you like your CZ compared to your other 22 mag auto loaders? I like mine for what I do with it, dependable, accurate enough and lightweight but there is something about it. Maybe it’s the plastic parts (that prevented me from buying it sooner).

I hope this brings back a good selection of 22 mag ammo in heavier weight bullets.I have a 22 mag pistol that has the same warning on it, luckily I have some on hand.

Looking forward to some more reports on your new rifle!
Hey, Gary......

I'm OK with the CZ 512 other than the fact that it has a lousy trigger and its what you're stuck with. If I shoot it a bit I can get used to it and I got into the rifle NIB very reasonably so it is what it is. The GS where I bought it doesn't like to keep things sitting on a shelf collecting dust, so when I showed interest, they dumped it pretty cheaply as it has sat there for awhile. The trigger on the old Marlin is much better.

I haven't tried this trigger yet just because I don't like clicking a RF (Old school, I know!) Everyone I've talked with say that the trigger is excellent for a RF semi-auto. We'll see...... I have a Ruger 10/22 that I put a similar aftermarket trigger in, and I like it very much compared to the factory trigger.

I don't mind that fact that you need to shoot heavier bullets in the MR rifle. The accuracy potential and the light weight of the rifle with the carbon wrapped barrel are what attracted me. If I think that I need lighter bullets for whatever in the 22 WMR, I have other 22 WMR rifles that will shoot those just fine.

For big West Texas jacks, it takes a good bullet to stop them, so this MR might be a good tool......... And for long range jacks, I always have a good 17 or 20 caliber CF of some flavor along to deal with those. The best part of where I go in West Texas is that you get a lot of 100 yard and less shots. Sometimes they are running, but that is where semi-auto rifles shine.......

Added: I showed the trigger information in the linked article to a guy I know who shoots a MR 22 WMR. The article that I linked to said it has a trigger pull of about 4 3/4 pounds. He said he has never checked his with a gauge but it would surprise him if his was anywhere near that heavy. In addition, the article says that the barrel cap and the chamber area exposed metal on the carbon wrapped barrel are aluminum. I guess I have an "aluminum magnet" that sticks to both areas on the rifle. But it won't stick to the aluminum action.....?

I'll know more Monday hopefully. We have sunshine today but me and the wifey are meeting some friends for a late afternoon "lunch" and then we're all going to the "Juice Box" (Minute Maid Park) to watch the Astros this evening. Beer and hot dogs for dinner.......... Yummy..!!

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Sounds like a fun gun, and thanks for all the info!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

An amazing day....... Just a heads up on what occurred.

I went to the range this afternoon and had trouble getting the rifle to group at 50 yards. Initially I thought that maybe the new Bushnell Engage scope that I put on it was no good. The rifle would group extremely well for maybe 2-3 shots and then start throwing flyers.

Anyway, I went through a box of the Hornady 45 bullet ammo that had been recommended and I was packing up to leave and wondering WTH. I though these rifles were supposed to be accurate but maybe its a bad scope issue.............

As I lifted the rifle up from the shooting bags, I felt a bump against the stock/barrel channel and discovered that the barrel is loose in the action. So loose that it rocks in the action and you can visibly see it move when you grasp the barrel. It has a v-block barrel lock up with two screws in it very much like how a Ruger RF barrel locks up, but the 22 WMR gas discharge device which is attached to the barre is blocking access to these two screws.

I called Magnum research but their Service Department closes at 4 PM CT, so I left a message. Not sure if I can remove this gas discharge device myself or if the rifle has to go back to them to solve this. I''m sure it will be tomorrow at best to expect any answer back. The gun shop where I bought it is closed on Mondays, so no joy there either.

So much for quality. Maybe I should have bought a cheap Savage...........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Administrator

BCB, you need a roll of electrical tape. Just wrap the action with several wraps like that ole squaw indian that shot all those critters and bears with her 22 LR.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
BCB, you need a roll of electrical tape. Just wrap the action with several wraps like that ole squaw indian that shot all those critters and bears with her 22 LR.
I thought about JB Weld but I figured that might void the warranty.... Hopefully they'll tell me that I can unscrew the dispersion block so that I can get at the barrel block screws.

But I'm not holding my breath........ Most likely its going back to Magnum Research.

-BCB

Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 AM

Well that's the pits!!

Let us know how it works out.....as I'm sure you will.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Supporting Member

Magnum Research called me about 8:15 this AM and I explained the issue. The service guy told me there were no warranty issues and to go ahead and remove the gas dispersion block so I could get to the two v-block barrel tightening screws. All I needed to do to replace the dispersion block in his words were to use a bit of Blue LockTite on the threads and tighten the screw holding the block in place hand tight with a Hex Head wrench.

Once I had the dispersion block removed, I was able to back the two v-block screws out with my fingers.... No wonder that the barrel moved.... The service guy instructed me to hand tighten them with an appropriate size hex wrench and I should be good to go.

I did all of this in about 15 minutes, and when I was done I headed to the range to "give it another shot", so to speak. Shooting the same Hornady Critical Defense ammo with 45 grain FTX bullets, the rifle printed itty-bitty groups at 50 yards and just slightly larger groups at 100. WALA....!! Its an accurate semi-auto rifle that should hit jack rabbits at 100+ yards with ease. As long as I, of course, "do my part".

I didn't have the targets pulled to provide visual internet proof, but I'm a very happy pilgrim with what I saw on both targets. Internet pics weren't worth waiting ~20 additional minutes for the targets after I finished shooting. Now I have a rifle to clean............

So the problem was easily solved and I'm once again glad that I splurged a bit on a rim fire rifle like this. Oh, and by the way, like the friend I mentioned, I never checked the trigger pull weight, but I wish I had some CF rifles that had a trigger that broke this crisp. It's firm maybe in the ~2 pound range, but it breaks very cleanly and consistently. It's far far better than my Marlin and CZ 22 Mag semi-auto rifle triggers.

Life is good................!!

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM

Well Hal, I'm glad your new rifle story had a happy ending.