Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 PM

Default 22 Hornet Encore Pistol Build

Was thinking of this project for quite a while but never had the time to start.

Until Now

I was talking to Bullberry from time to time, bouncing ideas off of them to see what route to go and I think I finally nailed it down.

Wanted opinions from you Hornet pistol folks:

Encore frame, have them do trigger bc I was getting frame from them more than likely

Bullberry 12" full bull, 1-12 22 hornet.

REVOLUTION ENCORE PRY21 Ambidextrous Grip/1 Forend Grip Set in Birch

Burris 2-7 pistol scope.

Harris short bipod

The reason for the encore vs the Contender platform is because I actually wanted a heavier platform.

Any input is welcome
Old 10-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Just curious, why a 1-12" twist instead of a 1-14" or 1-16" twist?

I use the latter 2 twist rates, and they both shoot very with bullets up to and including 55 gr..
Old 10-16-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID View Post
Just curious, why a 1-12" twist instead of a 1-14" or 1-16" twist?

I use the latter 2 twist rates, and they both shoot very with bullets up to and including 55 gr..

While I have never had a pistol 22 hornet; I cant speak from experience.

With the various rifles in 22 hornet i have had and tested, I never had any real luck with bullets over 40 gr with 1-16 twists.

Bullberry said that the 1-12 should be excellent with 40-55 gr bullets.

All of this is theory with the shorter barrels so I am going with people that have more experience that me with pistol hornets
Old 10-16-2020, 05:39 AM

I have owned and enjoyed a 12" 22 Hornet pistol barrel for a number of years. Mine is used with a G2 Contender. I had a 12"223 Encore barrel but found the Encore frame to be heavier than I wanted. I will say that with a good rest, it was as accurate as my 24" Encore barrel. The 22 Hornet is a very fun cartridge in pistol or rifle configuration, you will enjoy yours.
Bill
Old 10-16-2020, 02:56 PM

If your not going to carry it get a 15" bull barrel or at least heavy taper to really reduce muzzle jump, I also would have them drill and tap for both pistol and rifle forends trust me it is great to use a bipod on a rifle forend, 1-12 is the only way to go with todays components, I have lets say several Hornets maybe to many and several other little 22s now all are 1-12 and shoot 30 to 50 grain pills very well
Old 10-16-2020, 05:36 PM

And if you use 50gr bullets and handload with bulky powders, you can turn a Hornet down into a pretty quiet round with 22WMR ballistics.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave19113 View Post
Was thinking of this project for quite a while but never had the time to start.

Until Now

I was talking to Bullberry from time to time, bouncing ideas off of them to see what route to go and I think I finally nailed it down.

Wanted opinions from you Hornet pistol folks:

Encore frame, have them do trigger bc I was getting frame from them more than likely

Bullberry 12" full bull, 1-12 22 hornet.

REVOLUTION ENCORE PRY21 Ambidextrous Grip/1 Forend Grip Set in Birch

Burris 2-7 pistol scope.

Harris short bipod

The reason for the encore vs the Contender platform is because I actually wanted a heavier platform.

Any input is welcome
I think its about 20 years on the nose now that I ordered a 12" full bull SS 22 K Hornet Encore barrel from Fred. Its a stainless frame with the factory black rubber grip and a Georgia Jim 2 1/2 wide forend mounted with the Bullberry hanger bar. It has a 3x9 Burris on it. I wish I had another 3x12 Burris instead of the 3x9 as the barrel shoots well enough After 20 years of this barrel your thinking is good.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
I think its about 20 years on the nose now that I ordered a 12" full bull SS 22 K Hornet Encore barrel from Fred. Its a stainless frame with the factory black rubber grip and a Georgia Jim 2 1/2 wide forend mounted with the Bullberry hanger bar. It has a 3x9 Burris on it. I wish I had another 3x12 Burris instead of the 3x9 as the barrel shoots well enough After 20 years of this barrel your thinking is good.

Yes for sure. I mean if I get even half that out of this build it would be money well spent
Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM

I like the weight and feel of the Contender frame as compared to the Encore frame. Not to mention that the triggers on the early Contender frames are fantastic. I would also look into going the K-Hornet route as most people including myself think the case life is better, especially considering that Contender/Encore frames don't lock up as tight as a forward lug bolt action.
I like the idea of a 12 twist barrel or perhaps even a 9 twist if you want to install a suppressor on the pistol and shoot subsonic rounds.

Last edited by Johnly; 10-21-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 PM

+1 for the K-Hornet