Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

My .221 has a nice stick on it. As to twist, CZ says it's a 1 in 12 and I've always taken then at their word but never checked it, man does it shoot with the 40 grain V-Max!
If your trying to getting one, here's a link to CZ USA and you can see what they have to say about it. Left click on "choose your configuration" and go to the .221.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-american/
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks for that info. 2015 mmmmm.
Ken.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Talked my buddy into buying one. He loves it and sends me a picture of every groundhog he shoots from his deck.

Mine is a Remington 700 that started life as a Light Varmint Stainless Fluted. I replaced the tuperware with a Boyds Thumbhole Laminate stock. Stepped the game up a bit when I tooled up to make my own cases from 5.56 military brass. They last forever and are perfectly crafted for my barrel.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Default Cz 527 221fb

Not sure how the wood on mine compares to the "older ones" mentioned earlier in the post, but although not knockout wood, this seems fairly decent for a factory stock, at least to me:

Not sure exactly how old mine is, as it came to me "previously fired". All I know is that it's easy to carry all day for an old geezer, shoots around 1/2" with 40gr NBT's, and seems to kill everything it's pointed at. Sweet 'lil rifles, they are.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Does any manufacturer still offer a .221 Fireball?
Thanks,Ken
Cooper does. Can't figure why Remington no longer does. I've heard they had to eat the big batch of LVSFs they ran a few years back; now you can pretty much name your price if you have one.
I had a C-Z .221 once. Might regret selling it more if it had been available with a Varmint barrel, as was stated above. But occasionally I wish my 700 LVSF FB was built on a smaller action like that C-Z, or that my .221 Cooper 38 had a magazine, especially a DBM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Default 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomb View Post
Cz will be making them in 2015.... Or so says their website.
CZ would probably sell more if they could get round ownership of the vartarg brand and produce those, (read Tou here) or maybe a 20 FBI.
I appreciate we are a minority,but, probably a bigger minority than the minority that would buy a .221FB?
Vartarg seems to be gaining in popularity whilst the .221 must have declined enough for CZ to stop production.
Ken.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like it will be offered soon in the American version....again. Nothing under the Varmint section : (
I thought about wanting a VARMINT in .221FB as I shot up the 500 rounds of .221FB through my CZ out in the pastures of the Wilsall ranch. OK, funny, but after that many rounds shooting alternately with my 17AH, I started to notice a bit of recoil or 'jump' to put it more accurately, with the sporter barrel. Just thought that for 'lots o shots' gopher shooting a Varmint version might be fun. I think I've had all the chamberings available in the CZ 527, and the 221 was a great one. I thought about making a .221FBI but the factory round is fantastic 'as is', especially with 1680 powder and 40 Vmaxes ['wow']. I've read enough about the 20 Vartarg to 'know' without actually having one that you guys really like it, and it is probably as good if not better balanced than the 221FB.
Anyway, I'm guessing either one would be at their best in the Varmint barreled model as far as ease of holding. I'm aware that the sporter American models are almost always AS accurate as the varmints off the bench, though.