Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lapua 22-250 brass....FYI

I don't remember where this was posted, but a company was selling off a large batch of Lapua 22-250 cases a few months ago. I ordered a hundred JUST to see if they MIGHT be larger in diameter at the head/web area. Well they ARE!
I wanted them for my .250 Savage Ackley Improved. Winchester brass is good stuff however it is smallish in head diameter, something others have discussed also.
I am HAPPY to find this Lapua brass is about 0.4675-0.468" ! It should be a GREAT FIT in my slightly 'too large' chamber. Over the weekend I got out the grinder and tapered/polished my .250 Savage expander/decapper rod. I ran 5 cases on to it and now have die formed .250 cases. Will screw on the Shilen barrel onto my Ruger 77 Mark II switch barrel and see how the fireformed Ackley cases look compared to the Winchester cases. I've had great accuracy with the Win cases but did not want to load near max because of the misfit of the smallish cases into the slightly oversize chamber in my Shilen. The chamber is my fault - I used a friend's old Clymer solid pilot reamer and it measures 0.470" at the widest point at web.
Anyway just wanted to let anyone know that the Lapua brass looks to be closer to spec than my long time favorite Winchester brass.
I have two other Ruger 77Rs in .250 Savage [not AI] that I got for my sons. Will try some in them, too.