Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger #1 rifles.....?

Who has been bitten by the Ruger #1 bug and enjoyed success with them?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM

I probably have a half dozen of them right now, I have great luck with them. There is another member here that has posted some too, maybe 219DW will jump in.

Bob
Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 PM

I have mixed emotions about them. I still have a No. 3 Hornet that shoots pretty well, but it is very fussy with bullets and loads. 219DW has several No.3 and No 1, but all are custom rebarreled rifles with top quality barrels and smith work. And yes, they do shoot very well. Hope he jumps in and adds his two cents.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

I have a few #3's squirrel'd away for nice Squirrel rifles. All in 22H.

Adam
Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

probably owned 20 over the years, almost all would shoot but some were bug holers, especially my 220 swift varmint and my 218 bee tropical rifle.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

nice rifles overall, I personally like the Win 1885s better and did away with the Rugers.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default .223 #1

I've had a love affair with the Ruger #1 for 40 years, but only owned two. Had a 7mm Rem Mag with an Ackley tuned action. Fantastic trigger, but I was only firing about four shots a year so I swapped it for a HB Varminter in .223. Beautiful gun. For ten years I pretended that it was the girl of my dreams - despite a headspace problem that required neck sizing only. Finally, in a moment of brutal honesty I had to admit that it just really didn't perform to the level I thought it should. Sold it. Bought a Savage in .22-250 that pretty much shoots one hole. Later added a Kimber in .223 that will one-hole anything wearing a Sierra label. Still love the look and action of a #1, but my experience won't let me try another.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 AM

Default Love mine...

Right now I only have a .223 1V and a 218Bee,both shoot very well.
In spite of what I've heard some folks say in the past about Ruger 1's
these do shoot well.I hope to get more some day.
Matt
Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 AM

I have always enjoyed the No.1 for a lot of reasons. Elegance, strength, and versatility, are probably the more mundane ones.

My first was a No.1V in 25-06 in the 70's, my most recent, a Ruger No.1A in 270 Winchester. Have to admit most of mine are the old B models, used to be able to buy them for 400 a pop in the last decade, but seems to be changing a little now. Odd that trade in value is about the same though.

Guess if one is looking for a tight super precision target rifle, the No.1 probably is not it. I think the No.1 varmints can be tuned to ¾” or less at 100 yds if the barrel is anywhere near good. Ruger triggers are………Ruger triggers. Just like the barrels, the triggers have undergone change from the early renditions. A two screw trigger can be updated to the third screw or simply replaced with a 3 screw whatever, oem or ots.

All of my No.1’s; I bought as donors of one kind or another. The factory ones are waiting for the decision to be made as to what they will become, barrels and wood are under the couch at the ready. I bought a bunch of hornets and bees in the last decade, some of which will become 17 versions of the bee or hornet, as well as rimfire conversions.

I honestly believe the best thing you can do with a No.1 is to fit it with an aftermarket premium barrel and tighten up the headspace and gapspace……………..along with trigger upgrades of your own thought process. I really am amazed at how much the quarter ribs bow up after the screws are removed.

A two piece stock is not the best at rigidity, but can be touched to tighten up, ie glass bedding material at certain spots.

The No.1A will always be a trial for accuracy, even with upgrades in my opinion. Probably can be done, but it will be an experience. The other versions I think can be made to be 1-1.5” rifles, and in a hunting rifle……………will do most times. My super long distance days from the service days are long gone……….and kinda glad of such. Guess we have to face rifles off the shelf are not tuned assemblies. Guess we also expect a lot from today’s ots rifles in general.

The No.1 is not a light rifle really, but still feels like a rifle; steel and wood. The 17 Bumble Bee, 17 A&M Bee, and 17 KHornets were super fun to build and to shoot, cannot deny that. To be honest, the 17 Remington will do anything they will do and splendidly. In my basic lack of shooting spots nowadays, the rimfire No.1 is becoming the hands down favorite. Feels like a real full sized rifle, will touch holes at 25yds with trash ammo, and built it up myself and that is enough for me.

You know, some of us drive passionate cars that we really do not need; I think the no.1 is in that venue for some of us………………..the old rifle is just too much for us to resist.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:04 AM

Over the past 30 or so years, I've had a number of #1 and #3 rifles come and go. I always loved the looks of them, and had a passion for single shots all along. None of the Rugers yielded anything memorable in the accuracy department; several were downright lousy in that respect, and there was one in .458 that may have loosened my teeth for a while.

I also got into Savages -- better accuracy with less work, not nearly as pretty, but that's a small tradeoff IMO.

Would I buy another Ruger? At today's prices, including what folks ask for used ones, that would be a "no."