Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-30-2014, 04:19 AM

Default Owned One Since 1994...

I have a No. 1B in .22 Hornet. It is incredibly accurate, and I like it a lot. Mr. Ruger took a chance, and created a classic...
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Supporting Member

Default seems like.....

...the Ruger #1 is like the girl we wanted and dreamed about, but everything changed after a few dates....
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Well, I have slightly used #1 in 300 H&H, that I just got, still waiting on ammo, its on the way. very nice, how it shoots, I am yet to know.
irons and a Zeiss scope, hopefully tomorrow, ammo will be in town.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM

I've always wanted one. Went to buy my first varmint specific rifle at 16 and got talked out of a 22_250 no 1. He said he would have to order it and he had a shinny new m77 target rifle for 25 less. Kick myself every day for that. My m77 is the most accurate gun I own. .25 in group on first test load. Awesome gun. But its not a no. 1i had my heart set on. The no 1 jumped 300 in value within 3 years of my purchase. Dumb kids learn by experience.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM

I really like the classic look of the #1's. While I sure would like more right now I only have two of them. Actually quite funny when you look at them as I have them on both ends of the spectrum as far as chambering goes.

The first one I have is because I am a nut for .22 Hornets and when I saw this nice #1B chambered in Hornet I had to have it to go along with my other hornets.

So now go to the other end of the caliber spectrum and we have my #1H Tropical in .460 Weatherby Magnum. This was originally chambered in .458 Win Mag but I had it re-chambered out to .460 along with having the top of the breach block scalloped. Yes it does thump you pretty good but you are getting a lot of thump coming out the other end.

Neal in AZ
Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default love em

My No1 inventory rises and falls based on what I stumble across. Currently I'm down to 1, a pristine 218Bee S model. The one with the barrel band and Alex Henry forearm. It's a solid 1" rifle with it's best load and a slim 3x9 Leupy. I run across a lot of No1's in our neck of the woods for around 500.00 with the 22cal versions bringing a premium. I really don't think you can get a better singleshot design for the money. If your looking for the ultimate in accuracy then you need to move on.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Supporting Member

Guilty as charged but I'm down to a 7mm Dakota, and .250 Ackley, and a like new .204R AB modl that I need to sell.

ML
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default I'm starting to wonder if.....

....if there are mental wards with separate corridors named "Ruger Single Shot-itis" on the section description!!
I owned one #1A 30/06 and one #3 45/70. Sold the 06 after only a couple of groups and never did shoot the #3 as I suffered a partial retina detach just after getting it (years ago).
The #1 B models have my attention, probably caused by a 300 Win Mag nearby priced $699. Plain wood and don't want kickers anymore. Maybe a 257 Robt/25-06 or thereabouts...
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Supporting Member

Why such poor accuracy with these rifles? Ive never owned one but just missed a 218 Bee a year or so back. How do you make them shoot well, is it the barrel quality that lets them down?

Johno
Old 07-01-2014, 12:06 AM

One of the nicer things about the no.1 is its flexibility. A No.1 action is a No.1 action other than the 10 dollar ejector. The ejector design handles all the case types that I can think of, rimmed, rimless, belted, rebated...etc etc. The ejector is a spring loaded affair that is pretty stout all in all. I think if one examines the basic safety aspects of the action, most would kinda smile.

Buying a No.1 as a donor is pretty simplistic in some ways, just buy something and mod it to your desires. Of course checkbook issues come into play with intended mods, but a little planning goes a long ways.

The No.1 to rework is fairly labor intensive relatively speaking, the ejector recess has to be timed, the scope mounts on the barrel. Not a big deal at all really but does take time on the machines compared to most bolt guns.

One can get caught up in wood and metal finishes, but the No.1 I think looks pretty good in a slow rust blue and some English walnut; but only one opinion in the maze.

I got bolt rifles that are capable a way out there, but then I think about the times I get to shoot anymore a way out there. If I lived in the still currently free west, I would have a few bolt guns and a few No.1's........