Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post

Who did the machining on the barrel for the 17 Killer Bee? I have a # action sitting in the safe that needs a barrel like that only it might be a 20 Killer Bee.
Is the barrel free floated, I can't really tell from the pic's..........Kiwi
Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

the 218 Bee (left) was a straight line vertical stringer when I got it, I’m thinking around 2” or so inches with very little windage movement. Loaded up some loads with lilgun after reading here about what Daryl was doing with his 218 Bee and it really come to life shrinking groups ½ and less and also in velocity around >3700 fps.

The 17 Killer Bee (center) was ML creation, it was FS here some time back, I bought it and sad to say other than a little bit of testing with some of my CZ 17 KB loads have not even shot it. I have forgotten most of the details on it, would have to dig it out and may jog my memory .

The TCR (right) just happened to be in the only pic I had with both #1s. it will shoot most all barrels <1” , a couple off them do really good though.

If I had the money I would have another #1. A good (big bore) friend of mine has nearly all the #1 ever made… what a collection
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 AM

The octagon barrel is looking good to me. I guess that I should really be considering myself a Ruger No. 1 Junkie at this point. I have been considering rebarreling one in a yet unchosen 17 cartridge.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Default Accuracy and success with a No.1

The last three weeks I've been taking my No.1 .204 Wasp to the range to have something to shoot between groups with another project that I've been working on. I didn't get to go to Montana this year so I've been scratching my itch at the range. The first couple of range sessions I used loads from last year and the silicon caulk between the forend and barrel. The loads are 31.0gr N140-39gr SBK and 25.0gr H4198-32gr Z-Max. I had intended to use only 39-40gr bullets with the 11" twist Krieger barrel, but when the 32gr Z-Max and 32gr Nos VG became available at such reduced prices, it dawned on me that they would be perfectly adequate for most of my PD shooting. I decided to keep the velocity down to about 4000 fps and H4198 seemed the right powder, since it was locally available at the time. This No.1 didn't seem to improve with the silicon caulk on the forend as shown in this pic like a couple of other Rugers did.

I tried removing part of the caulk for one range session without improvement. Groups were averaging around 3/4". I was beginning to wonder if I had toasted this barrel in S.D May,2010 when I shot it over 400 rounds one day and for some reason didn't alternate with another rifle. The barrel has 1857 rounds fired and would shoot the occasional sub .5" group, but not consistently. Last Friday I removed all the caulk and cleared the forend even more that it was to get about .050 clearance when the weight of the rifle is on the forend. I tried a light load of Varget with the 32gr bullets and was rewarded with these groups.

I'm going to get some 32 V-Max to try since the Zombie bullets aren't available right now, plus the red tips look better than those yellow-green tips.

Planning to take my 8 year old Grandson to shoot prairie dogs within a couple of years and this will make a good rifle for him to shoot. Very little recoil with the 32gr bullets and 12 lb. rifle. I've shortened an old No.3 buttstock for him to use.
Dave
Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Certainly got that one "Cooking", 219W.