Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default small caliber related...storage cabinets in shop??

Ok I PROMISE to store some 17 caliber bullets in/on these cabinet shelves IF you can help me find what I should buy and install!

I've learned that open metal shelves in the garage.....are....open. All my junque is VISIBLE! LOL!
I'm thinking of buying some cabinets at Lowes/Home Depot but the reviews on the particle board cabinets say they are HEAVY and the particle board is not structurally sound after 'storage' is 'stored' on them for time.

What to look for! I want my garage back and need to store stuff to make it better LOOKING and well, make my wife and I both happy : )

What did you buy and use and are satisfied with ???

THANK YOU,,,,credit card ready to go get....(?)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default wood is not your friend

I would suggest a std Wardrobe or storage cabinet from a used office furniture guy. Std size is 36x80x20"Deep and are either set up for hanging clothes or shelves. Here's one I have that is loaded to the gills, it's closable and lockable. The bins above it are std overheads used in a cubicle panel environment, they're steel and also lockable and coming up with a way to mount on the wall is simple. Last would be file cabinets, both vertical and lateral. If your lucky you can find old card files, office furniture guys can't sell them cuz....no one uses them anymore. Reason I know...I'm an office furniture guy. Steel is the only thing that can stand up to the static load, doesn't catch fire, easily paintable and readily available. In the top shelf I keep unloaded brass, below it loaded ammo and from there bulk storage. I keep my gunpowder and dies in a basic 4 dr 42" lateral file.

Overheads, I have a total of 15 surrounding the shop using dead space, ceilings are 9'.

card files, don't let dealers tell you they're valuable, they're turds we can't sell
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Chuck, I like the card file idea!
Tom
Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Chuck, are there special hangers to mount the overheads? Great idea for the overheads.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I would suggest a std Wardrobe or storage cabinet from a used office furniture guy. Std size is 36x80x20"Deep and are either set up for hanging clothes or shelves. Here's one I have that is loaded to the gills, it's closable and lockable. The bins above it are std overheads used in a cubicle panel environment, they're steel and also lockable and coming up with a way to mount on the wall is simple. Last would be file cabinets, both vertical and lateral. If your lucky you can find old card files, office furniture guys can't sell them cuz....no one uses them anymore. Reason I know...I'm an office furniture guy. Steel is the only thing that can stand up to the static load, doesn't catch fire, easily paintable and readily available. In the top shelf I keep unloaded brass, below it loaded ammo and from there bulk storage. I keep my gunpowder and dies in a basic 4 dr 42" lateral file.

Overheads, I have a total of 15 surrounding the shop using dead space, ceilings are 9'.

card files, don't let dealers tell you they're valuable, they're turds we can't sell
So your the guy that's causing the shortages
Old 11-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default the guy

I'm not sure I'm the guy "causing" all the shortages but I can assure you I'm not the guy that is "caught" by the shortages.

There are 2 ways you can mount those overheads. Bolt a piece of angle steel( I use 1.5x1.5x3/16") to the studs with lag bolts and lay the overhead on it and then drill through the back into the studs. Or you can buy the matching wall track, mount it and hang the bin on it. Last pic is a overhead that is mounted over my loading area with almost all bulk bullets, tools and loading manuals in it with a light under it. Then the worksurface is hung from the same wall track.

Also included pics of a lateral cabinet loaded up with dies, powder etc.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Nicely made, Harold!

If you have extra-deep pockets, the Stanley Vidmar cabinets are really nice. Bought seven more of them a few years back at work. Spent enough for them, the CFO had no objection to considering them a capital expense!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Supporting Member

Vidmars. Yeah, I store my Purdeys, pristine 1st Gen. Colts, and similar goodies in 'em.

My former neighbor is my go to for carpentry. We made some shelves out of 3/4" cdx with 2x4 stringers along the wall and 2x4 uprights. The uprights are only nailed at the top to the underside of each shelf. Easy to add doors or sliders attached to the ceiling. 110 linear feet of storage for $265 in materials.

Last edited by barretcreek; 11-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Default Might go with overheads....

...but this is harder than it looks,....trying to plan out a better garage shop!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

My place sure don't look neat as these but, they'll hold up ten times as much.
One day I was needing a 6' pc of 8" microlam. Just happened to get to the lumber yard at the right time with the right truck. They guy said: "the piece you need is on bottom of that pile". Huh? You've gotta haul it all off to get it". Suits me you guys load it up!
I ended up with 40 or more pcs of 14"x14', twice that of 12" xd 12', and a stack 4' wide, 4' high and 8-10' long all of 2" thick microlam for hauling it off and they loaded it too.

Buddy stored it awhile, sold over $500 we split at 50cts a lineal ft. Somewhere about then I realized that would make a dandy work bench. so I brought the rest home. Bench is 39"wide, 34' long, covered with 1/8" steel plate, plus 240 feet of shelves and a deck about 15'x30' as an attic floor. That's when I realized just how dumb it was selling so much of it, I could have decked the rest of the attic with it too.

For the bench I welded stations 3' apart. Dad said I could drive a loaded semi down the bench. Trouble is there's just the one bench. On those shelves I must have 6-8 TON of steel and assorted things stored I had in mind of using later. Then my health turned on me. Oh well, sure hope the next guy appreciates the head start I've given him.

Main thing on shelves you plan to put weight on, make 'em four times as thick/heavy as planned. They'll never sag if you do.

Good luck.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"