Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default gun auctions....

Went to my first ever 'gun auction' Saturday. 600 plus guns in about 5 or 6 hours I guess. Been a long time since I heard a 'for real' auctioneer's chant.
Enjoyed it and had a fun trip, stop for meals on the road, with a gun friend.
TOO much GUNS and MONEY flying through my brain!!!-- I was mesmerized!!...Will be better prepared next time.
My ear itched and I bought a Winchester 22 rifle-! (just kidding, I was scared to death to scratch except for the very short moment AFTER hearing a 'sold'. Maybe 10 seconds to make body movements!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Supporting Member

Real gun auctions are a blast. I've made some very good buys when they are running through lots of guns in a short period of time. The biggest factor is doing a good inspection before the auction to really check out the ones you are interested in. Set your limit and stick to it, don't get caught up in a bidding war. Farm type auctions are good ones to stay away from. Usually a small # of guns and lots of people bidding. They usually go for over retail at these type of auctions. JME locally............

Aaron
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 PM

I have been to two auctions in my area. I did a inspection of the guns be for the bidding started and wrote down bids I would go up to. I was standing beside a collector that I know and guns were going for way too much. When plain jane 22lr's are going for $300-400, instead of $125-160, there is a problem.
I noticed that two people in particular were bidding on all the guns and running the price up. I waited around and neither guy picked up the guns that they won the bid on. Went to their next auction and lo and behold what was there, the same guns. I snooped a little and found out they work for the auction house. I went to another auction at a different auction house and the same thing happened except I happened to know the person who was running the price up!
Both were absolute auctions, so the auctioneer was crooked. It is just like the online auction where they say no reserve, but a starting bid is posted (that is the reserve nit wit). I don't participate in auctions.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Supporting Member

Amazing timing on this thread Alan. I got off the phone about an hour ago and found out that I was high bidder (absentee bid), on a rifle I been looking for fer many years. A couple weeks back a friend sent me a link to an auction that was coming up yesterday back east at the "2015 Central Illinois Firearm Auction." They were auctioning the rifle I've been looking for so I proffered what was for me a reasonable "Maximum bid", I never expected to actually get it though from the prices I've seen these go for on other auctions. Imagine my surprise in finding out I not only got it but for $100.00 less than my max offer . (I'm gonna actually believe all this when I have this rifle in my sweaty little hands ).
Never been to a gun auction but sure have a lot of others and Aaron is exactly right, ya decide what the item or animal is worth and don't go .20 cents over that, don't ever let your emotions get involved. I watched on line as a rifle just like the one I hear I bought ( only that one was in slightly less condition) go for $240.00 more than I just paid when 2 guys decided to get into a whizzing match over it. Stupid !!

Last edited by montdoug; 03-16-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Amazing timing on this thread Alan. I got off the phone about an hour ago and found out that I was high bidder (absentee bid), on a rifle I been looking for fer many years. A couple weeks back a friend sent me a link to an auction that was coming up yesterday back east at the "2015 Central Illinois Firearm Auction." They were auctioning the rifle I've been looking for so I proffered what was for me a reasonable "Maximum bid", I never expected to actually get it though from the prices I've seen these go for on other auctions. Imagine my surprise in finding out I not only got it but for $100.00 less than my max offer . (I'm gonna actually believe all this when I have this rifle in my sweaty little hands ).
Never been to a gun auction but sure have a lot of others and Aaron is exactly right, ya decide what the item or animal is worth and don't go .20 cents over that, don't ever let your emotions get involved. I watched on line as a rifle just like the one I hear I bought (in slightly less condition) go for $240.00 more than I just paid when 2 guys decided to get into a whizzing match over it. Stupid !!
OK are you gonna tell us or do we have to wait for it to be in your sweaty little hands

I've never been to an auction. I have a friend that goes and he does quite well. I may go for a ride on his next one to see what it's like. Just because your there doesn't mean you have to buy.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default Don't scratch your ear.....

.....or you may have to post pictures of something you didn't know you were buying!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Supporting Member

Been to two auctions, price can be a little over the top, I agree. and once in a while you get lucky.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
OK are you gonna tell us or do we have to wait for it to be in your sweaty little hands

I've never been to an auction. I have a friend that goes and he does quite well. I may go for a ride on his next one to see what it's like. Just because your there doesn't mean you have to buy.
This is gonna be a bit anticlimactic Stevo but here a while back I got an attempted hosing from a shiester selling one a these on the net and I also got lied to be some young lady at another auction back east. I posted it in a thread and told the tale of having one a these rifles I bought new as a kid that was stolen by a supposed friend back then, "NO it wasn't a flint-lock muzzle loader ". Really, it wasn't !

Anyway, the rifle isn't anything fancy but I sure liked the one I had and always regretted it's loss. It's one a those things that's bugged me for many years. It is a Marlin 57M Levermatic in .22 magnum. They kinda have a cult following. This is one here, great walking varmint/small game rifle.

Made from 1959 to 1969, tube fed, one piece stock that combined with Marlin's micro-groove rifling made for a very accurate rifle. A slick cam system in the action that allowed ejecting and loading in about an inch long throw of the lever, very fast and accounts for the name "LeverMATIC", clever play on terms by the advertising dept I suppose.
Not real high dollar but certainly something that the bride and I can play with for as long as we choose and sell for a small profit or at a bare minimum break out of even. What can I say, I love .22 mags!

The absentee bidding thing worked real well for me, at least this time.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default 57 Levermatic.....

My first very own rifle (other than a Daisy BB gun) was, and IS, a Markin 57 in 22 S., L., and LR. Mine has an aluminum receiver, the mag has a steel receiver. Got mine for Christmas 1964. I got to pick it out off the rack in a downtown hardware store in Orlando, FL., then had to wait for Christmas morning to 'have it'. Got to shoot it a LOT!.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member

Doug you need that 256 they made, you wouldn't want that little 22 mag to get lonely now would you.