Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Default Leupold 3x-9x AO?....

Looked at a Ruger #1B nearby and it has a Leupold 3-9 with an adjustable objective. Now I'm aware of the EFR version with AO for air rifles and such, but this is not an EFR version. Believe it is a slightly older VXII. Why was this version offered?,.. anyone know?
(30/06 and beautiful wood.... tempting!).
Old 06-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Looking at some old catalogs I was getting ready to give away, it is in the 84 through 91 catalogs. I don't have earlier, and my next latest is 99, which didn't have it. No mention of the reason.

I suspect it was for serious rimfire shooters who wanted no parallax at any range. I think the EFR was made to focus even closer.

Bruce
Old 06-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Efr

I have a couple of the 3-9EFR AO scopes for airguns and Rimfire. Curious about the non EFR version.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM

I have two Leupold Vari-X II AO scopes that are non-EFR, one has the standard duplex reticle and the other has CPC (tapered crosshair) reticle. They focus down to about 40 yards or so, but since they are the standard 40mm AO objectives, you can use them with the Leupold add-on close focus lens adapter to shorten the focus distance to about 50ft or less. That close focus attachment was made before the EFR versions of the scope came out, and have used them on my 6.5x20 40mm AO Leupolds also. Both scopes are on M52 bolt action Sporter reproductions, and work great.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:06 AM

Great little scopes. Have two mounted on Kimber mod 82'2. One is a 22 mag and the other a hornet. If I recall correctly Leupold referred to them as "compacts". They were were also made in a straight 6 power with AO, and appeared in some of Kimber's early literature. Presently there is a thread in the Kimber section of Rimfire Central discussing a compact 8X that is rather rare.
I believe they were built in rather limited numbers in that you seldom see them for sale.
Boib
Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Supporting Member

Default Value??

The rifle this scope is mounted on is for sale nearby, and I usually assess $100-$150 'worth' for the used Leupold as far as figuring the individual values. I figure a VX-II series (older) Leupold is always worth at least that even if it needs a trip back to the factory for some repair - (this one appears excellent).
What do you think it's worth? Knowing this of course helps me decide on the price of the rifle/scope package and whether I think it's worth buying.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM

I got one of these scopes in a rifle purchase some years ago. Seems like a decent scope all in all. I suspect that Leupold will still service them if need be.

It is now mounted on a Remington 541S and is ok. Mine will focus at 25 yds at the local indoor range. I do wish it had a little more top end power, as I get older, I like the 12+ power range.

I suspect being a fairly nice scope by Leupold(has the front objective adjustment) that oughta be worth the $150 to most. The No.1 market has been somewhat up lately, at least, that is what is promoted on seller's sites. Tis a bit hard for me to put a k-buck into a rifle whose trade in is less than 500; would have to be the right one I guess.

As you know the older models tend to have nicer wood, but have to look for the occasional salt wood issues. Several friends say the later in house barreled No.1's are pretty decent shooters.

I think a true beauty of the No.1 is its flexibility as to caliber. Ejector/extractor is 10 bucks and readily available. Rebarreling with a premium blank takes some time at the machinery, but to me is welll worth it. I find the rimfire No.1 especially endearing; have two rimfire conversions now, and a third in the works.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger #1 'fever' has caught me.....

recent acquires:
2016 #1S medium weight in .35 Whelen, and a 2003 #1H in .458 Win Mag. Dies and cases coming for the 458WM,... I had a Ruger 77RST in 458 years ago and decided I wanted to try same in a #1 when it popped up for sale.
Not 'small caliber' so I'll drop the topic.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
recent acquires:
2016 #1S medium weight in .35 Whelen, and a 2003 #1H in .458 Win Mag. Dies and cases coming for the 458WM,... I had a Ruger 77RST in 458 years ago and decided I wanted to try same in a #1 when it popped up for sale.
Not 'small caliber' so I'll drop the topic.
Nice collection of varmint guns!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger #1B 222 Rem...nearby...

Up for sale is a friend's 222 #1 with a Nikon variable (?). Was sold as a barreled action in 1972. He's offering it to me for $1K including scope and 100 rounds/cases 222.
He sent it back to Ruger for a factory stock years ago and they did, with a black recoil pad and plain walnut.
This IS 'small bore' talk! : )