Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2018, 01:43 AM

Default Looking for a gunsmith to chamber a 17 Hornet

I'm looking for a good gunsmith that has chambered a 17 Hornady Hornet and already has the reamer. I want to get one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets re-chambered with a match or SAAMI spec reamer.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:43 AM

You don’t say whether the ‘smith needs to be near you.
Adam Bently, a member on This forum has had good reviews.
Ken.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
You don’t say whether the ‘smith needs to be near you.
Adam Bently, a member on This forum has had good reviews.
Ken.
My only requirement is that the smith is good, already has a 17 Hornady Hornet reamer, and is in the lower 48 of the USA.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Default Looking for a gunsmith to chamber a 17 Hornet

If there are none in your area, then check with some on the site, Bentley, L. Sherm or contact Pac-nor or Bob Green, York, PA. most any of them probably can do the job for you. You just have to call/email/contact them too find out. Bill K
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM

B23
When talking to your gunsmith make sure the reamer works well with factory dies.

Hal
Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Pac-nor

Pac-nor does a great job on CZ's. Another thing to remember with the CZ is they are metric threads.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:56 PM

I'll try and explain why I'm considering having a new gun re-chambered and maybe there's a better idea out there. I'm always very open to better ideas.

I recently bought another CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Scoped it up with Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 and a set of Warne rings. Had it bed by the same gunsmith that does all my work and also bed my other CZ 527's.

Proceeded to shoot it and get it sighted in with the same factory Hornady 20gr ammo I've shot in my other CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet and it didn't shoot terrible but it certainly wasn't anything to jump up and down about either, right around 1in. groups. They didn't go vertical nor horizontal, just kind of spread around in a one inch circle. Again, not terrible, but it doesn't shoot as well as my other, identical, 17 Hornet.

As is typical with most CZ 527 17 Hornets the chamber is cut very generous.

The fired cases come out rather stretched and there is a noticeable thinning of the brass, just ahead of the rim. The brass from my other 17 Hornet looks similar-ish, just not nearly as bad.

When I measure the cases from this newest 17 Hornet I just got, the shoulder is moving forward 11 thou. yet the overall case length is only gaining about 3 thou. in length so I'm guessing the case is growing in diameter as well, haven't measured that part yet so I can't confirm. This seems pretty excessive to me and doesn't sound like something that would lend itself to good accuracy, but I'm fairly new to these rimmed cartridges so maybe I'm more concerned about it than I need to be.

I'm guessing once fired ammo will likely shoot better but it'll really suck if I have to shoot all of my new ammo or even the stuff I load myself, with new brass, before I can get better accuracy with fire formed brass which is why I was thinking about having the barrel set back and re-chambered with a match type reamer that isn't so oversized.

Another concern I have is once I shoot a bunch of ammo through this gun, the way it is now, and then have it re-chambered with a spec reamer I doubt I'll be able to resize any of this brass down far enough to even chamber in a new spec chamber.

If any of you have some thoughts or ideas, feel free to speak up.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Pac-nor does a great job on CZ's. Another thing to remember with the CZ is they are metric threads.
Do you know if Pac Nor will do a set back and re-chamber on a factory barrel though?

The metric threads deal is why I'm looking for someone other than my regular gunsmith. I really like these little CZ but I hate that they have metric threads.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 PM

[quote=B23;269085]Do you know if Pac Nor will do a set back and re-chamber on a factory barrel though?

Too get a answer on that and the cost and all, I would think you should call Par-nor direct, explain what you want and get a quote, for your request and also see if they can do the job. Probably the best way to find out. Just a thought.. Bill K
Old 04-08-2018, 12:32 AM

I would call Bob Green. I can't recommend him enough.