Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default Neck Turning….Wobble??

While turning necks on 20 VarTarg brass, that had been formed from once fired Lake City brass , this evening, I encountered a few that had quit a bit of wobble when chucked up. I am using a 21st Century case holder on a variable speed DC motor that runs true. I actually had no problem turning the necks as I "go with the flow" (wobble) and lightly hold the turner. I got to wondering why some of them wobbled, I took a close look at the few offenders and noticed that the rim of the wobblers had a high spot at one point. Probably due to a hard extraction would be my guess. I lapped the base of the case on a surface plate with 800 grit paper and it really showed up the high area. So much for why they wobble……..Now I am wondering how the uneven pressure from the high spot against the bolt face might effect accuracy when fired. Any ideas?

Thanks for any comments,
Gary

Last edited by GoatsngunsGmk; 11-11-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 AM

I have the same issue as you. I think that may be the result of the necks when they are formed from 223 and are not dead center to the body. The second is they may not be centered in the drill attachment. I found that my drill head is off a bit to "help". Third, I neck turn again after the first firing, just let say .0005". And yes, the base possible be not perpendicular to the body. Cheers