Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-27-2020, 10:57 PM

Default Nosler Solid Base

I was digging in my bullet cabinet looking for some Sierra 55gr. Game King bullets for my 223 when I ran across several boxes of Nosler Expander 50gr. solid base sp bullets. No Sierra's, darn.
So, has anyone used the Nosler 50's on Coyotes? How did they work? To fragmatic?
I worked up a great load with them using IMR8208 and was hoping they were somewhat fur friendly.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:04 PM

It as been a few years, but I remember using some and they tore a pretty good hole on exit. On smaller critters they really exploded them.
Front portion, as I remember opened pretty quick and the solid base blew on through.
But they did put things down. Bill K
Old 12-27-2020, 11:08 PM

I was afraid that was the case. Doesn't sound like you had to many surface splashes.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:17 AM

I think they may have been the predecessor to the Ballistic Tip. Same solid base and lead tip instead of plastic.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 AM

I'm liking the sound of this. I may have hit the motherlode. LOL
Old 12-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Shoot them and see what and how they work for you. You have them, so make use of them. At the time, I thought they were a good bullet, put then again I don't save fur.
And even if I still had some, they would illegal for me to shoot game, even non-game in my state, due to the "Save the Condor" laws. Bill K
Old 12-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Love those old Solid Base bullets!

I've got right around 2K of their 45gr Hornet Solid Base bullets stashed for my Hornets, and from experimenting with about every suitable Hornet bullet I could find over the years, these little gems have given me accuracy from my little 1885 Low Wall K-Hornet that rivals some of my HB rat rifles, like some groups in the high 'ones'. Really.

Wish they'd make a run of them again sometime, but living in a free state (for now), I'll continue to use them on all the chucks and squirrels I can in the meantime. An excellent bullet.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
I think they may have been the predecessor to the Ballistic Tip. Same solid base and lead tip instead of plastic.
Exactly - they were very accurate as well. I was sad to see them out of production. Seems to me, the Ballistic Tips are more frangible than the older solid base soft points.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Exactly - they were very accurate as well. I was sad to see them out of production. Seems to me, the Ballistic Tips are more frangible than the older solid base soft points.
You're spot-on there, Daryl. From my conversations with both John N. and their engineering crew there, that was their exact goal for their 'new' varmint bullet.

Only drawback was their BT's for hunting had to be "tamed" somewhat in design to prevent excessive meat damage. The BT had a bad rep for a time during this engineering transition, but has since been remedied, as meat damage from the BT now is what I'd call 'acceptable', and about the same as most other game bullets.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Before I had to go lead free, BT's killed a good number of deer. If you shot them in the ribs, you lost very little meat and blood shot surrounding area was small.
Now if you hit them in the hams, shoulders, plenty of blood shot tissue, you just had to cut out and throw away. You just have to place your bullet in a good spot and be patient for the right shot. They are a fine bullet, as most everyone of Nosler's are. Bill K