Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Default 204 Build Project

Good morning guys, well the 204 build project is finally in motion, in the early stages.....had a great visit with Kevin Weaver two days ago, and we were going over all the things he was going to do to the used Rem action I scrounged up. We pretty well got all that hashed out, and a few minutes later he called me back and asked if I had ever considered a custom action......told him that I had, but decided the extra expense just didn't seem reasonable, etc.....he then told me that Defiance made one that was only a couple hundred bucks more than what I would have in upgrading the 700 action, and that the Tenacity action was a precision action with the M-15 style extractor, side release on the bolt, and the bolt would not require dbl bushing or bushing the firing pin, and the recoil lug was integral, etc.....and all that made sense to me, so then I start tracking down the Tenacity action, had to backorder one from Alamo Precision in Texas, that will be a 3 month wait, but at least things are started. The HS varmint stock should arrive in a few days, and I got the HS detachable mag bottom metal coming also, along with a Jewell trigger.

The next thing I have to figure out is what bbl length? Primarily, this will be a "shoot it out the window" truck gun. To complicate matters, I took the advice of the purchasing mentors here on the forum, and got a Banish 30 moderator in the works. That will add 7 to 9 inches in overall length, and extra issues in maneuvering to get the gun "out the window."

Question is, how much velocity/distance am I going to give up going down from 24 inches to 22 or 20 inches in bbl length? I would like this build to be capable of 400 yds on coyotes. Kevin has ordered a Lilja 11 twist 3 groove in a 24" length, and says we'll cut it down to whatever I decide on.

In a previous post I ran bbl length question up the flagpole, and got several really good thoughts on it. Johnly put forth some simulations that were helpful:

22 inches=90% powder burn
24 inches=92% powder burn
26 inches=93% powder burn

At 22 inches, with the 7 inch can will end up with a 29 inc bbl length....awkward at best but not impossible to handle, and the 9 inch can at 31 inches.....things get long quick.

So, am wondering, just how bad would performance suffer at maybe even 20 inches? I'm sure that some of you may have previous experience with shorter bbls......B23 said he had a 22-250 with an 18" bbl with a can, and said that he recognized the reduce efficiency of the short bbl, but it wa one of his favorite guns to shoot anyway.

I have lots of time to decide on bbl length, and really appreciate all the input and help you guys have given me.....please let me know what you think I should or should not do on the length issue (or anything else I'm doing on this).
Steve