Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2022, 03:13 AM

Default 22 Hornet Handloading questions

I just picked up a 22 Hornet Anschutz 1433 rifle, and have been gathering all the items necessary to create some accurate hand loads. I am an experienced hand loader, but never before have I loaded the 22 Hornet, and I am wondering if I am free to utilize the same steps as I usually use for such cases as the 222? Specifically, I have all new brass, and my normal method is the full-length size each new case prior to trimming to length. After each firing I will neck size prior to reloading.

Is it proper to full length size my new Hornet cases, or should I merely neck size prior to trimming to a uniform length? Should I anneal my new Hornet cases before beginning any other case preparation?

As costly as it has been to gather the components and dies, I'd like not to destroy any of my new cases by utilizing the wrong process. I figured I could get some good advice here on Saubier.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:15 AM

Default 22 hornet

I’ve loaded for a number of 22h rifles for 30 years. I currently have two 1730 Anschutz and one Win 1885.
I full length size new brass and load it.
I trim everything 2-3 loadings
I’ve ever annealed a hornet case.
In my 2 anschutz rifles, the magazine is to short to accommodate plastic tipped bullets that are 40 grain or heavier. If yours is the same magazine length, and I suspect that it is, you’ll need to single load these types of bullets. I’ve gone to Berger 40 grain HP, and like them a lot on prairie dogs. They will fit in my guns magazines.
There’s good debate on this issue, but I’ve found that in my guns, small pistol primers give the best accuracy. My go to load for my hornets is-
Winchester case
Federal SP primer, 13-13.2 grains Lil Gun ( this is a full case)
Berger 40 hp, but 40 v max, or ballistic tips are fine also
Old 03-13-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I full length size new brass and load it.
I trim everything 2-3 loadings
I’ve ever annealed a hornet case.
I’ve gone to Berger 40 grain HP, and like them a lot on prairie dogs. They will fit in my guns magazines.
There’s good debate on this issue, but I’ve found that in my guns, small pistol primers give the best accuracy.
Federal SP primer, 13-13.2 grains Lil Gun ( this is a full case)
Berger 40 hp, but 40 v max, or ballistic tips are fine also
I have acquired 300 pieces of Privi brass along with some 40 gr Berger HP's, 36 gr Varmint Grenade bullets and also have some 40 gr V-Max on hand. I have some Federal Small Pistol primers but have been unable to get my hands on the Remington 6 1/2 rifle primers to try. I also cannot locate any Lil' Gun powder but have an ample supply of 1680 and 110 for starters.

I usually uniform the flash holes on all my brass and use my Sinclair primer pocket uniformer as well. I will skip the annealing for now but will Full Length size and trim, and should be good to go. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:04 PM

I've got a 1730 Annie in 22 Hornet, I doubt the 36 grain Varmint Grenades will shoot in your rifle. They are not designed to shoot in a 1 in 16 twist rifle and it used to state that fact on the box. I tried a few and was rewarded with keyholing bullets. The 30 grain Varmint Grenades however shoot very well. I use Federal Small Pistol Match primers and LilGun. Privi brass holds up very well in my Hornet.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:26 PM

In my magazine fed Anschutz hornets (1433 & Exemplar) I specifically use the magazine so I mostly stick with the lighter 33-35 gr. vmax bullets. I know they limit my range but it is a .22 Hornet. I shoot the 40 gr. and heavier is my other hornets (#1B, T/C etc...) where I can load them long. Win/RP brass with Rem 6.5 primers and Lil"Gun powder is all I use.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

You will really enjoy the Hornet and loading for it. The advice given already is very sound. Privi is great brass, I have some with over 20 times fired, never annealed, always just minimum neck sizing. Even new brass, I only neck size then load. Rarely do I ever have to trim my Hornet brass.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:38 PM

The only thing that I can add, is I have never fl sized a .22H, and I am getting great life and have never lost a case yet. I tried RCBS, Lee collet and L.E. Wilson bushing dies and greatly prefer the L.E. Wilson die. Since there is so much variance in brass thickness, I can use different bushings so I don't oversize the brass.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:36 PM

My advice for hornet loading:

The brass is thin, so it can collapse if you try to seat a bullet and the neck is bent or too small, peened over, etc. You should not need to anneal. If you just neck size the new brass to make sure it's round and then *lightly* chamfer the neck you should be ready to load. Then neck sizing for subsequent loads should be enough unless the brass gets hard to chamber/extract or you want to mix ammo between different guns. I've had case head separations after many reloads, and neck sizing (instead of FL) should help this some.

Try to get a powder that mostly fills the case. Some pistol powders could work but it can be pretty easy to overcharge or even double charge. Pistol primers are worth a try and can sometimes help with speed variation.

Also, load it like a Hornet. If you want 4000fps get a different gun.

Last edited by flyrod; 03-13-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
I have acquired 300 pieces of Privi brass along with some 40 gr Berger HP's, 36 gr Varmint Grenade bullets and also have some 40 gr V-Max on hand. I have some Federal Small Pistol primers but have been unable to get my hands on the Remington 6 1/2 rifle primers to try. I also cannot locate any Lil' Gun powder but have an ample supply of 1680 and 110 for starters.

I usually uniform the flash holes on all my brass and use my Sinclair primer pocket uniformer as well. I will skip the annealing for now but will Full Length size and trim, and should be good to go. Thanks for your reply.
I've tried Rem 6 1/2 primers in my Hornets, but found that I got better accuracy with the Federal 100 primers. 22 Hornet accuracy can sometimes be difficult to find, but it seems always to be found. None of Hornets share the same load accuracy. One likes 2400, another WW296/H110, and the other 300MP. In someways, it's like a treasure hunt.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:36 AM

Love my Hornets. I typically use 10 grains of IMR 4227 which gives me right around 2540 fps. I've tried 2400, and Win 296 which work however did not give the same accuracy as the 4227 which has been very consistent for me. Tried lil'gun and although it does give higher velocities, found it to be spikey and inconsistent. I strongly agree with what flyrod said about not trying to load hornet super hot. Seriously though, it is amazing what the little .22 Hornet is capable of, and the bunnies will never know the difference(in velocities) when that 40gr sierra soft point anchors them at 2500fps. One thing to note, In my opinion the .22 Hornet is primer sensitive, so if I feel like accuracy is lacking in testing a new load, I'll try a couple of few different primers and see if one has advantage over another.

Last edited by bridgeport; 03-14-2022 at 04:47 AM.