Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2022, 06:32 PM

I use a Mapp Gas torch-head on my propane bottles. I like the fat bottles as they stand up nicely. I sit in a chair with the propane btl. on a low table, lights off in the shop, but there is a small amount of light coming from the computer room's windows, so it isn't pitch black.
I pinch the de-primed cases by the base, and roll the necks in the flame propane flame for 4 or 5 seconds until the colour starts to change, then drop them into a 2 gallon bucket of water. This way they do not get damaged when dropped & the annealing process is quickly done for a LOT of brass or small amount, as the case may be. After annealing is done, brass is removed and shaken, then put in the sun on a towel or 170F oven on a cookie sheet to dry.
My .22 Hornet NEVER needed annealing and I partially FL size (by die adjustment) so 1/2 the neck only is sized. CZ m527 rifles.
After 14 shots as .22 Hornet, never annealed, the R-P cases were necked to hold .17 Cal bullets & fireformed. After loading one more time as .17AH, I got a split neck, so annealed them. They have had 6 shots as AH's and did not need to be annealed again. New WW cases, necked and fireformed, needed annealing after being reloaded once. Go figure. Harder (& thicker) necks, I assume.