Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennlasher View Post
I guess I'm a bit different. I don't use my HMRs at the range much, I pretty much just use them shooting at furry little rodents or feathery vermin.
I use one of the Burris 3-9 Fullfield IIs with the Ballistic Plex reticle, which just happens to coincide with the 17VM's trajectory almost exactly out to 250 yards, which is just about 75 yards past it's primetime killing range. (it's within 1"+/- out to 250, with the original lots of ammo).

I REALLY like that combination, and when prairie doggin' in that clean SD air, there's no downside to the "lack of scope power". It's just plenty for my needs.
I will concede that when it was new, I had a lot more scope on it, just to find out how well (or not) it would shoot, but I quickly switched when I found it would shoot better than a lot of centerfires, within it's limitations.
I'm with glenn. I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 on my Anschutz and I use the Plex reticle with good results. Turned up all the way and sighted at 100, and using Hornady 17gr Varmint Express, the top "dot" is 1 inch low at 150 yds and the 2d dot is 1 inch high at 200. (There are 3 dots and I haven't tried to see where the 17HMR might go using the bottom dot, but I'll happily take Glenn's 250 yd report as the gospel.) I have a couple of these scopes and have had good service from them.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM

It's a good point for sure. I have all my Leupolds reworked to focus at 60 yards clear, but that is as close as it will go. I also give up anything past 300 yards, but it's a 17 HMR so no worry on that.

On lower power, you can get away with shots around 40 yards. Closer than that and you need either let your reticle appear fuzzy to your eye or not take the shot. Or just bottom the power out to the lowest setting, but you lose your range estimate in your reticle. You have to bump it back up when you take the next shot.

The NF scopes are clear at 50 yards from the factory, and the next generation is rumored to be clear at 25 yards. I'm waiting to try out a new VX-6 and see how they look in the field.

With the EFR's, they are clear at short ranges, but you are gonna be spinning the AO quite a bit out in the field. I find little wiggle room in the EFR line when scanning at different distances - and they are not side-focus. Every little movement on the AO is a big change in focus in the field. I find side focuses are very helpful when varmint hunting. I have tried them for hunting and don't care for them.

I tend to not shoot any closer than 50 yards with the 17 HMR. I switch rifles at that point to a .22lr.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM

I use a 5-15X m3200 on one HMR, a 6-18x44mm VOREX on another and a 6.5-20X44mm Simons on another. I really like the stadia wires in the Vortex as they give me aiming points further out, but the PLEX reticle helps with that on the lower powered scopes.

We routinely use our HMR's on gophers to 200yards.

Lower powered scopes do nor let me see as well as I like on the small animals. The "visuals" are usually the best part. The better you can see, the better you can place your shots.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Early on I found out just how inherently accurate the 17HMR could be from a variety of different rifles! To date I have owned/and or put together 38 different ones and from the New England Firearms, Ruger, Savage, Marlin, CZ, and even a Remington 597, all would shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards of under 1 inch! Some of the models, (Marlin, Savage, CZ) shot consistently under 3/4"!! With that kind of accuracy from a rimfire, topping it with decent glass was called for. NEVER have I recommended or taken "center of mass" shots on varmints and with good glass and the 17HMR head shots are very doable out to 150 yards with ease and further also. Glass of at least the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 or Buckmaster 6-18 or the Burris Fullfields in 4.5-14 have served very well and didn't break the bank!! GHD
Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

Default 17hmr

Groundhog, what do think about the Burris 4.5x14AO Timber Line scope?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 AM

FC, Funny you should ask that!! I had one of the Burris Timberlines and found it to be a very usable and good for the money, value scope!! It had the "BalisticPlex" reticle and it followed the included chart pretty darn closely!! Really closely if I remember correctly!! I remember trying that reticle on several,differnt chamberings and they did work fine!! 17HMR, 204, 223,243, 270, 308, 30-06,. That is one of the optics that I wish I had not sold!! It would have been GREAT on a 541-S!! Or a 581!! Or pretty much any small chassis rifle!!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default Burris

Thanks Groundhog!