Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-29-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Some what off topic but not really

I saw a Fox Pro video last night that was interesting. They were in Montana, using decoy dogs and called in a wolf. There seemed to be something wrong in the video to me, but I won't go in to that. But the video did raise another question in my head.
Now that wolves are getting more wide spread and showing up places that haven't seen them in a century, did it change how you hunt? I predator hunt alone and the only problems I have ever had were two legged. But those that hunt out west and in the northern states where wolves are now more prevalent, have you change how you hunt? Have you changed the cartridge that you use, more careful with your dogs, started hunting with a partner, ect...

Qaz
Old 11-29-2020, 03:36 PM

Wolfs don't worry me so much. I worry about mountian lions.
If you think you might call in a pack of wolfs, take a AR and get as many as you can.

Hal
Old 11-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Some of the Mtn. Lion hunters that use chase dogs have had dogs killed by wolves. The dogs get strung out chasing a lion and making a lot of noise in wolf territory and end up confronting a wolf pack. Doesn't end well for the dog.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:56 PM

I guess I am just too old and have hunting for years alone. Don't worry about the wolves showing up in my area, now that the F&W released some into the area and they are growing in numbers, also killing livestock and game animals.
I don't worry about bears or large cats either, have had them show up while still hunting or sitting in ground blinds waiting for deer or elk.
Just this year deer hunting had a very nice cinnamon colored bear walk up to within 15 feet of me, while trying to sneak my camera out of a pocket to get a shot, he spotted me and turned and lopped away. Did get a parting photo of him headed north, while I shot him, with the camera, in the south end.
I am more concerned with the newer hunters ( 2 legged) and their poor hunting/shooting skills than the animals in the wild. Bill K
Old 11-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Supporting Member

I'm pretty certain that the possibility of wolves and mountain lions would not change anything that I've done for years as they have always been a possibility. Awareness of your surroundings has always been important to me when calling coyotes. Maybe the wolves not in the numbers that you might see today in some areas, but none the less they were always there in areas where I hunted and lived years ago.

In spite of internet myths, mountain lions are a very thin skinned light tissue animal that does not require a lot "extra killing". For years when running lions with dogs was a very popular way to hunt them, the favorite weapon of choice for the hunters was a 22 Magnum. Dogs mean the world to these hunters, and if they had felt that a mountain lion needed a lot more fire power, they would have used it to protect their hounds.

For the past few winters, I've used a 22-6MM instead of a 22-250 for my first choice for winter coyote outings as my "larger caliber" rifle. The only reason is that it shoots extremely flat in open country and I can raise the .224" bullet weight into the 65 grain area and still get the flat trajectory.

That said, without the 22-6mm, the only change I would make in the 22-250 if I was specifically hunting wolves would be to go from my usual coyote bullet being the 52 grain Sierra BTHP as my bullet of choice to an old fashioned" 55 Spitzer bullet that would at least in my mind give me a bit better penetration and a bit more reliable bullet expansion.

Wolves and lions are not dangerous big game animals that need high power rifles to kill them. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Situational awareness and not large caliber rifles that are not needed to kill wolves and lions will keep you perfectly safe.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-29-2020, 07:47 PM

Wolves and lions are not dangerous big game animals that need high power rifles to kill them. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Situational awareness and not large caliber rifles that are not needed to kill wolves and lions will keep you perfectly safe.

-BCB[/quote]

True BCB. Many wolves are killed in the far North with the likes of 222 Rem and even lesser cartridges.
And a whole bunch of cougars have been killed with 22lr, 22mag, bow and arrow, 30-30's, so a super duper mag spitfire is not needed. Just good shot placement.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 PM

I worry about " ole saucer paw" Griz more than all of them combined.
When you walk up on one in the dark and it lets you before it takes off and you have know idea its there well you gotta change your underwear.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 PM

Default Wolves

I hunt in the western mountains almost every year. I have zero concern about wolves, and cats. Grizzly is another issue.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:49 PM

I know its been 3 years in a row now somebody has been mauled by ole saucer paw while hunting here around Kalispell latest was just about 2 weeks ago a father and son were sent to the hospital only good thing was they killed the bear.
A guy sent me a pic of a big ole boar on a game camera in June thats only about 3 miles from my house I knew it was just a matter of time.
I just read an article were the F@G are establishing a management unit in the Bitteroot Valley they've had 6 sightings this year and 3 confirmed 2 around Missoula.
I always thought I didn't have to worry about ole saucer paw when I was in the Selway Wilderness but that has changed since they trapped one 2 years ago on the Stevensville golf course.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default True story: Again!

Another member here and I called coyotes one evening. One came running
right thru half dozen cattle and on across and down over the hill without a shot.

Next evening I went to the same place alone as he was working.
Sitting between clumps of sage calling. Ground is real sandy there, no rocks for a change.
And me being 90% deaf without H/A's then.

All at once without any warning a hot wet tongue licked the back of my neck.
Who'd ever have a clue they could jump a 4' high sage from the sitting position?

A donkey had come up behind me too see if I would fill my panties I guess.
The next times I was there, each time was surrounded by cattle when calling.
No use wasting time and a 30 mile drive.

Such are the thrills of calling coyotes "out west" as some of you refer to.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 11-30-2020 at 05:07 AM. Reason: more bs