Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-11-2021, 04:35 PM

Just about anything 222 or 222 based is never a bad idea so you can't go wrong there.

You could always take one of your Hornet actions and turn it into a 20 Hornet. The 17's are fun and I had a 17 Rem in a CZ 527 Varmint for awhile but it just never tripped my trigger so I sold it.

I tend to like the 20's a little better than the 17's. I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17HH and for the last couple years I've been flirting with the idea of turning one into a 20HH. A 20 Hornet shooting something like the Hornady 24gr NTX bullet could be a fun one.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Just about anything 222 or 222 based is never a bad idea so you can't go wrong there.

You could always take one of your Hornet actions and turn it into a 20 Hornet. The 17's are fun and I had a 17 Rem in a CZ 527 Varmint for awhile but it just never tripped my trigger so I sold it.

I tend to like the 20's a little better than the 17's. I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17HH and for the last couple years I've been flirting with the idea of turning one into a 20HH. A 20 Hornet shooting something like the Hornady 24gr NTX bullet could be a fun one.
A 20 Hornet does sound neat. Does anyone here use one? What do you know about the cartridge and it's performance?
Old 12-11-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
A 20 Hornet does sound neat. Does anyone here use one? What do you know about the cartridge and it's performance?
Other than speculation I can't say that I know anything about one.

If I ever had a reamer made for one it would be based off of a straight necked up 17 Hornady Hornet. I use Redding bushing dies for my 17HH and I may need to have the neck area of the die opened up but then I could use the same dies just with the appropriate size bushing. I've played around with necking up 17HH brass using my K&M expander mandrel and necking that brass up to .204 was easy peasy.

As for performance I think considering it's a slightly larger bore dia. those Hornady 24gr NTX bullets should run real close to the same speed as the 20 grainers do in a 17HH so getting 3650-ish shouldn't be to difficult.

For me the 20 cals seem to be a little less finicky than the 17's which is probably why I gravitate toward them a bit more. I'm a big fan of the 17 WSM rimfire and the little 17HH but I wish they both were 20 cal versions instead of 17's.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I do have a reamer and a set of dies I got from TK, I wasn't really surprised that he had them on the shelf.

But when I do get a barrel and get it built, I'll know a bit more.......Kiwi
Old 12-12-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I change my 22 k-hornet into a 20ah and it was a good choice for me, I always thought the 22 hornet was under powered for my likings. I get about 3500fps with a 32 vmax and 1680 powder. on a lot of my squirrel shoots it's the first gun out, shoot everything that is close and before the wind picks up.

as far as the OP's post, I understand your desire to thin the heard. I also have reached that point and I am using the theory, if it hasn't left the safe in a long time and it doesn't have sentimental value to me. it's time. there are some rifles that are going on shooting trips this year because of the shortage of supplies. I will shoot the loaded ammo and not reload for them. that way if I sell them, I don't have to deal with the reloads.

I know there are folks who say, you can't have to many guns. I used to say that too. if someone ask you, how many guns do you have? and you can give them an answer, you can probably get away with buying a few more. if someone ask you and your response is " I really don't know for sure" you might not want to buy any more. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshooter View Post
I change my 22 k-hornet into a 20ah and it was a good choice for me, I always thought the 22 hornet was under powered for my likings. I get about 3500fps with a 32 vmax and 1680 powder.
Wow that sounds really fast for a 32gr in a case that small.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshooter View Post
I change my 22 k-hornet into a 20ah and it was a good choice for me, I always thought the 22 hornet was under powered for my likings. I get about 3500fps with a 32 vmax and 1680 powder. on a lot of my squirrel shoots it's the first gun out, shoot everything that is close and before the wind picks up.

as far as the OP's post, I understand your desire to thin the heard. I also have reached that point and I am using the theory, if it hasn't left the safe in a long time and it doesn't have sentimental value to me. it's time. there are some rifles that are going on shooting trips this year because of the shortage of supplies. I will shoot the loaded ammo and not reload for them. that way if I sell them, I don't have to deal with the reloads.

I know there are folks who say, you can't have to many guns. I used to say that too. if someone ask you, how many guns do you have? and you can give them an answer, you can probably get away with buying a few more. if someone ask you and your response is " I really don't know for sure" you might not want to buy any more. Just my 2 cents worth.
I am glad I am not alone. I will shoot the repeater hornet some more, but the single shot may get the axe.

Any idea what the case capacity difference is between the 20AH and the 20 VT? I am only getting 3600 fps with 32 grain bullets in my 20 VT.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Wow that sounds really fast for a 32gr in a case that small.
I could be wrong, it's been a little while since I chonographed them. I'll do it again and get the updated numbers, I am running two different loads, one for ppu brass and then Winchester brass.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I am glad I am not alone. I will shoot the repeater hornet some more, but the single shot may get the axe.

Any idea what the case capacity difference is between the 20AH and the 20 VT? I am only getting 3600 fps with 32 grain bullets in my 20 VT.
I'll see if I can get that info for you tomorrow. If I had it to do over, I'm not sure I would build another hornet. Between the vartarg,s, killer bee,s and the 20 Tac,s, I very seldom take even a 204 out of the safe anymore, let alone one of my 22-250,s or one of my swifts. The little ones do everything that necessary.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:

There's a pretty big difference between the two. The 20AH is around 15gr H2O and the 20VT is around 23.5gr H2O It may not seem like a lot but in these little cases that's a substantial difference and the better brass definitely favors the Fireball brass.