Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Default Gun cases

I lived and worked in RSA for 5 years in the 80's and carried rifles back and forth 2 times every year. What I learned was that no matter the case you use it will be subject to damage from the airlines. I have had fibreglass cases with sections cracked and smashed in and aluminum cases bent and twisted out of shape. It seems that some baggage handlers excel at damaging gun cases. This was pre TSA days but I still had to open all cases and show that the guns were unloaded. I then wrapped the cases with duck tape around the hindges and the clasps for extra piece of mind. This worked for me and I never had a gun or scope damaged, only the cases. Depending on caliber you may be able to purchase ammo in country. Ammo shipment is/can be a separate head ache!
Enjoy your trip, enjoy the sites that Africa has to offer, enjoy the shopping especially out side the cities where vendors sell along side the roads. You will have the time of your lives.
Best Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM

I am also headed to South Africa this summer. My Dad and I are doing plains game and bird hunting. I am in charge of the guns, two shotguns and two rifles. I have one pelican and I need to buy one more. I am also in charge of plane tickets. Eye opening, right now a trip to Montana to elk hunt seems simple!
Chris
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM

I used an aluminum case. It had a rod that slid through the hasps to secure them, then you used one padlock to secure it. I removed the rod and used four padlocks. The only damage happened in ATL. Idiots ripped off one lock but the other three kept it secure.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 AM

Two trips to Africa under my belt with both pelican cases and Tufpak...the Pelican cases are an awesome case. The are bulky and heavy and will project your guns. I like my Pelican cases.

I have another trip to SA coming up next year and I will only take the Tufpak. The Tufpak is a heavy bulky protective suitcase in which you can pack your rifles. Looks like one of the protective carriers for golf clubs. Pack your rifles in soft cases and pack the rest of your gear in around the soft cases. You will have one less bag to carry on your trip and you will need the soft cases for moving around in the field.

Take lots of pictures...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 AM

I guess I'm the odd duck in the water here. I like the SKB double gun cases...

When I build and ship off a rifle, whether it's a $3,000 bolt action rifle or a $10,000 double rifle, the SKB gun cases are the only gun cases that I use....

DAVID
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Midway just sent me an e-blast email. Pelican cases $30 off right now.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 AM

I am the odd man out as well, I prefer starlight cases over pelican.
Eric