Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

Looking at the Fort Pierre National Grasslands. Ive hunted east of the Rosebud, all over Cheynne River Sioux reservations.

What's up Dunheap ?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member

90 bucks to shoot the Cheyenne River Reservation!!!! Just about a buck a dog.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default waskawood

We used to stay in Dupree,S D.Really only had 2 good hunts in 8 years. The first problem was we accumulated to many shooters, could not find enough dogs for two shooters let alone 5-6. 3 to 4 got their discharge notice. Just me and an old buddy now. The wild high volume shooting up there was BS, been doing it to many years, feel like i know a good dogtown when i see it

Stayed in White River in 1998 at the Thorobred Motel , about 12 rooms and 10 had dog shooters. Times were changing.

Moved on to Colorado. The drought, plague and overshooting done in Colorado as i see it.

Shot my first dog in Nebraska in 1983. Spent many years in South Dakota.I relly don't want to hire a guide.

Starting over again.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

Reservations require their own license, as I'm sure you know, otherwise you need a state license.

Seemed like the last time in S Dakota, it was $27.

Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM

RR, we tried the Fort Pierre National Grasslands last year. My advice: Forget it. Any town of any size has been shot and shot and shot, and the survivors are wise.

State license is $37 now. Easy to get online. The landowners who do are allowing shooting are charging $25 - up, per person, per day; the outfitters, who have contracted for most of the land, are charging $200 - up, per person, per day; the Rosebud Rez requires a tribal license ($60) and you MUST be accompanied by a licensed tribal guide ($ ??). The guide MUST be with you while you are shooting, can't take you to a spot and leave. I don't know what the per person - per day amount would be there. Don't really WANT to know either. Plague has taken its toll to some extent, but we saw lots and lots of dogs and dog towns on tribal land, with no way to get a shot.

In summary, South Dakota prairie dog shooting has become a rich man's sport, totally out of reach for a guy like me. Glad to have the memories of the fantastic shooting back in the 80s and not much more.