Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 AM

Default Magnum......Dynamite Squeak Fest

Awoke to 17 degree weather and 15MPH winds. Headed out around 11:00am to catch up with some local ranchers whom' have granted me squeak shooting access in the past. Had a nice chat with a fellow whom' despite the 30degree weather has hundreds (literally) of squirrels running around already in his winter wheat patch.......a field of about 40 acres.

Didn't shoot any today out of that field, but had a nice chat with the rancher and was granted full access once again this year (much appreciated by me).

Headed south and stopped into a ranch that I've not asked for access in the past (despite thousands of squeaks on their property). Greeted by 4 cowdogs, two of which were cute pups, I headed up to the farm house thankful the barking dogs didn't bite. Introductions aside, I was happy to hear the old rancher plead for me to come back and kill all of them, anytime I want. Super thankful, I told him I couldn't refuse to shoot some before I left and that I'd be back a plenty this spring to do my best to rid him of his infestation.

I spent 1.5 hours, freezing my hands, in 38 degree weather and literal 15MPH steady wind.

Worked out the 22 mag (with new custom barrel) and federal 30gr TNT (Dynamite Loads). I'll say, I've shot a lot of squirrels with a .22 mag...........mostly with 30gr V max. These 30gr TNT are INCREDIBLE> Not only do they cluster 5 in the same ragged hole the size of a penny at 50 yards out of this rifle/barrel...........they create the most damage I've ever seen from a 22WMR. They literally sound like a mini bomb going off when you hit a squirrel mid body...........like a loud balloon POP!!!

All dead squeak photos are from 50 yards out to 120 yards.......(had fun in the wind today).

As much as I love the 22 WMR, especially in MY RIFLE.............the thing is pathetic in the wind. Would have been much better off with the HMR or WSM........but, I killed atleast 50 confirmed and shot 110 rounds so Not too bad considering the range and conditions.

Anyway, great day. Here are some pics. Looks like old man winter is back, I don't think i'm gonna be shooting any more squeaks until March if the weather man is half right............supposed to snow tomorrow.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-14-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:04 AM

Old 02-14-2018, 03:05 AM

Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 AM
Supporting Member

Nice report!! As you know, I love those 22 mag rounds! I'm glad to see them blowing up the rats nicely. I haven't had my 22 mag out yet, but I have the ammo stacked up and ready to go.

Thanks for getting me excited again!

Eric
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Supporting Member

Looks like fun

V-16?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Looks like fun

V-16?
Yep.......V16x with custom TK Lee dots for holdovers out to 175 yards. 1/2" high at 50ydd...first dot 100yds....2nd 125yds......third....150yds....4th.....175yds. Works killer......when the wind isn't blowing 15MPH
Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Nice report!! As you know, I love those 22 mag rounds! I'm glad to see them blowing up the rats nicely. I haven't had my 22 mag out yet, but I have the ammo stacked up and ready to go.

Thanks for getting me excited again!

Eric
You bet Eric!! Tis the season
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Well done in challenging conditions, whose barrel did you rebarrel with?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

Good read, well done. Looks like a ton of fun.

Tom
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. View Post
Well done in challenging conditions, whose barrel did you rebarrel with?

22".....Green Mountain........stainless fluted sporter. Match Chamber.

This rifle shot really well with the factory 20" pencil barrel from Ruger. I just wanted to "gussy it up" a bit.

It does shoot more consistent now and groups better with certain ammo. It cleans nice and shoots all .22WMR ammo that I've tried really well.