Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 04-16-2018, 06:00 AM

Barnes 30-30 150 grain in the hog hunter ammo opens beautifully in water jugs, even in ballistic jello.

THe federal ammo I use is from what I can tell barnes tsx ammo in a federal case and box. That opened up at 40 yards in ways it hsouldnt have. It probably failed because the wounding I could find in internal tissue that remained, I swear the bullet opened up but the petals seem to have split down the whole length of bullet. Meaning each petal was about as long as the bulelts over all length, not how its supposed to happen. perhaps 5 times the diameter expansion?

Gmx is not much better, very little internal damage on lung shots. More like someone pushing a hollow metal tube through the animal and that's your wound...

Cheap Winchester super x 150 grain jacketed hollow point in 30wcf at same ranges barely lets them go 40 yards at the most, normally they just lurch forward a few steps and drop.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 AM

however sierra makes a few fmj choices with nearly flat points to them that do bear looking at.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Load data,

I think you have a couple of flyers there. (Not one perfect hole). LoL,

VERY NICE!

WHAT was THAT load?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 PM

Thats a 284win xp-100 with 142 controlled chaos lehigh's on top of H4350. Thats the best shooting bullet I've tried in that gun by a long shot.

Aaron
Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Copper bullets are not lead, it won’t do things the same as lead. The last time I used copper bullets was when I lived in Europe. Don’t like them. In Greece most people use it though. I thought of moving to Greece even checked a couple of houses for sale there, it seemd very attractive to me that time, but finally we moved back to States. I think it’s better this way. And definitely more places to hunt here
Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 AM

Default Why use copper?

Just to be aware of how big of an apples to oranges comparison we are making here, if I have a copper 17gr .172GSC SP solid bullet moving at 3700fps it very certainly will create a deep but narrow permanent wound channel through bone and tissue of approximately 1/2 inch by as many inches of pass through, yet the temporary wound channel is very adequate despite it being a solid copper spire point. Compare this with a 30gr berger match hp bullet moving along at approximately 2900fps that provides a much more destructive permanent cavity and it is pretty easy to see why we often prefer lead core bullets.

Yes it seems pointless to use copper, until you see that it removes the possibility of you consuming lead and subsequently becoming as bright as a dodo bird.