Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM

Default Groundhog hunting

This is my first post since joining this forum. After reading several of the posts I am very impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of all of the members.

My son and I both groundhog hunt locally in S/E Pa. and he usually video tapes our hunts. Below is a link to one of our recent hunts. I hope you like it.

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9e6EXwtnm0
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM

Default Groundhog hunting

Nice shooting and video.. Will watch for more. Bill K
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks Bill, we should hopefully be getting out again soon.

Alan
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Supporting Member

ARW, welcome, outstanding video and shooting.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
ARW, welcome, outstanding video and shooting.
Thanks Ray, I appreciate it!

I am glad I found this forum, it's good to be here.

Alan
Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 AM

ARW
Most guys here go pd, rock chuck, and ground squirrel hunting. Don't think most of these guys have seen mature woodchuck/ground hogs. Take a little more killing. What calibers do prefer in PA.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-01-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
ARW
Most guys here go pd, rock chuck, and ground squirrel hunting. Don't think most of these guys have seen mature woodchuck/ground hogs. Take a little more killing. What calibers do prefer in PA.

Stephen Perry
Stephen,

Around here people hunt groundhogs with everything from a 22lr up to their deer rifles, 30-06...270 etc., I would say the most popular though would have to be the 22-250.

It made me laugh about the guys never seeing a woodchuck as I have never seen a pd, rock chuck or ground squirrel.

Alan
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM

ARW
I am from Maine 57 yrs removed. Do they go woodchuck hunting up there. My uncle and his boy got a 2 yr moose permit yrs back. They got their moose a 1/4 mile off the road. He said it took 8 yrs to get a quarter section back to their truck. You know the story chain saw, sledges ,axes, wedges not much fun. His boy drove the meat to the processing plant my uncle slept with the rest of the moose, think I would be concerned with what wolves might come by. He welded on the Alaska pipeline for 7 yrs said he knew how to deal with wolves. Guessing he had a few big dgs with him.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 06-01-2013, 03:57 PM

ARW: I enjoyed your video & and complement you on some great shooting. But what was speical, to me was You and your Son doing this tograther. My Son has been my best hunting and shooting buddy since He was (( PODDY TRAINED ). He is 46 yrs old now and takes care of me now and does most of the driving. The best Ground Hog hunting I ever got to do was at FT KNOX KY in 1967 & 1968, never seen that many in one place ever again. Also shot a bunch of Ground Hogs south of Springfield Mo in 1973 & 1976 in the freshly cut Hay Fields. Welcome to the Forum.
ken
Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the compliment cap-t.

Other than doing his 4yr. military stent, my son has also always been my constant hunting companion, my wife also hunts but she prefers to only bowhunt deer.

A funny story about my son when he was 8-9 years old, he is 28 now.

It was a real nice late spring day and I went to his school and told the office I needed to take him with me. I heard them page him over the pa system to report to the office.

He had a "oh crap" look on his face when he walked in and when he asked me what was wrong I said "I'll tell you out in the truck".

I sat there in silence when we got to the truck. He asked me again, what was wrong and if he did something.

I looked over at him sitting there and said, "did you notice how nice it is today?" He said "yeah..yeah, it's real nice but why did you take me out of school?

I said "this is a day made for groundhog hunting and that's exactly what we are going to do!"

The look of relief that came over his face at that moment was priceless!

I don't remember how many groundhogs, if any, we shot that day and actually it's unimportant. What "was" important is that we spent the day hunting together and created a lifetime memory.

Alan